I might have gone too far...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 07:42 AM
Default I might have gone too far...

So I originally bought my Saturn Vue as a project car/1st car for my daughter. I bought it with a broken timing belt and bent valves for 400 bucks. The body was pretty much clean, so I figured I couldn’t lose on the situation. As I replaced the cylinder heads, gaskets and timing belt, I had no clue that it was the beginning of my obsession. LOL turns out that I really like this car, enjoy working on it and driving it. Parts are relatively cheap, it has good power, smooth ride, and it’s very useful. I’d like to thank people on this forum that helped out with me in times of need figuring out some other problems if I could get my mind wrapped around, especially derf.

Like I said, I might’ve gone a little too far. Here’s a list of everything that I’ve either replaced with a good used part or bought brand new:

(# indicates new part)

cylinder heads
complete gasket set
thermostat #
timing belt #
water pump #
front suspension #
struts #
brakes #
wheel hubs #
driveshaft
swaybar links #
headlights #
oil filter housing #
rear hatch shocks #
steering wheel
instrument cluster
ECM
ECU
throttlebody
amplifier
radio
speakers #
steering shaft
ignition bypass kit #
and exhaust system from the catalytic converter‘s back to the resonator #
😬

So, I had to have a small chat with the VUE yesterday and explain to her that after she gets her new alternator, replacement valve cover gasket‘s and her rust fixed in the spring, I think we’re done. LOL

Needless to say my small project has turned into a little bit of an obsession, but I have no regrets. Thanks again for everybody’s help getting her to where she is today, back on the road daily driving with 166k miles.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to owning a Saturn.

If you don't own one, you just can't understand........

Old 01-22-2021, 12:05 PM

I found anothef small box of vue parts in storage if you need anything else for it. But yea. Thats how i am with my Ions. Although my jeep kl has been way more fun here lately

Old 01-23-2021, 08:03 AM

And I'm betting that your total investment is a LOT CHEAPER than a $500 per month car note for 6 or 7 years too! LOL

Old 01-23-2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by DropDead
I found anothef small box of vue parts in storage if you need anything else for it. But yea. Thats how i am with my Ions. Although my jeep kl has been way more fun here lately

thanks I appreciate the offer, right now I’m just trying to finish up the last few things I have do and then hopefully just drive it for a while. LOL but if I run into something I’ll let you know. I would like to get a cheap one day myself. I know the Saturn has no real off-road capability.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
And I'm betting that your total investment is a LOT CHEAPER than a $500 per month car note for 6 or 7 years too! LOL
In total and somewhere between about $1500 and $2000. But, yeah it’s way better than having a $500 car note on something that I just put 75 miles a day on driving back-and-forth to Detroit. My main car is a 2015 Chrysler 200c that I just paid off so now I can save miles on that while I happily rack him up on this. Plus I can drive this in the winter and as long as I get the rust fixed I should be good to go!