2003 V6 AWD Transmission Dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:57 PM
Default 2003 V6 AWD Transmission Dragging?

Okay so this might sound odd, but it seems like it takes more effort to keep my VUE going down the highway than normal. She just doesn’t seems to keep speed effortlessly... I have felt the wheels and none of them seem to be excessively hot after a 40 mile trip, so no sticking calipers. It just feels like the engine is working hard to keep up speed fora V6. I’ve replaced one front wheel bearing/hub assembly and the other is fairly new. There’s no grinding or anything that seems to be hung up and I can roll it around just fine. Is this just normal? Alignment was just done, so it’s not as though it’s dragging tires. Would a fluid change help? I’ve done so much to get this far with my VUE, I’m not about to give up, when the last thing is leaking valve cover gasket (just can’t get them to seal for some reason) and this lingering issue. Any help is a appreciated.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

How about a fuel filter, has it ever been changed? Fuel injected cars feel constipated when filters are clogged.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:19 AM

How many miles are on it? If you have a LOT, you may have a cat con that is starting to clog up. Take a rubber mallet and tap on it. If you hear things rattling around inside, it's time for a new one. And if you hear that rattling in the cat con, then tap the muffler too. Sometimes it breaks loose and can clog your muffler too.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Well the engine seems to rev pretty freely and never seems to be starved for fuel. I know I haven’t changed The fuel filter in it, I bought one, I just couldn’t figure out two of the release tabs. I have about 163,000 miles on i, so I’m sure a new one won’t hurt. I bought it with a broken timing belt and had to replace cylinder heads and all sorts of other fun things. So I’ve really just gotten into the rhythm of driving her more often. I did check the transmission fluid though and it seems to be extremely overfilled and dark. So I’m wondering if that could be some of what I’m feeling? I know that too much transmission food can be just as bad as two little. So I think maybe I’ll do a transmission drain and fill today and see what happens.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

If that is fluid and not root beer I agree it is time for a change. There may be a small transfer case with gear oil in it where the drive shaft connects to the transmission. I have never looked under a Vue, but that is the way Ford does their Escape 4x4. Atf in the trans and 80/90 in the separate power splitter box.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the thread Jack. Andy, must you use a special Ford tool also known as something I won't have in my garage to replace leaking seal on the transfer case of of an escape, my 2014? I watched a video made by Ford on changing one of the seals and they have some weird contraption that they use to pull and seat the seal. Just wondering

Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Ford has special tools for everything. That does not mean that you need them to do a particular job. It may just be their seal puller and a correctly sized driver.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed, sir. They seem to be making a fuss about using this particular tool and being super mega careful that you don't do XY or z in this particular use of the tool. And that you had to pull really hard but not break something or unseat the seated seal.

Didn't look straightforward for a guy like me. Changing the fluid is no problem. Looks like it may be leaking but can't tell so I will suction the fluid out from the top and measure how much it is versus how much it should be. Then I will know if it is leaking. Hate taking it to the steelership but not confident in my abilities to perform this particular repair. We shall see. Unlike my Saturns this vehicle cannot be down for very long. Okay off to work on the cars before I fall asleep.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Okay so I drained and changed the fluid. So black with a hint of red and being overfilled by almost a liter? That seems like it was worth changing it for alone, but the magnet covered was another sign it had never been done. But she seems much happier now! She shifts smoothly and there is little to no “dragging” when I let off accelerator at highway speed. So I’ll change the fluid again in about 6 months to try and get some of what was in the converter and increase the “fresh” ratio. Thanks for input everyone

Not all of the fluid, there’s another 3 liter container!

Old 10-09-2020, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

A complete fluid flush is only possible with the proper machine. I often settle for a couple complete drains and refills.

Quick Reply: 2003 V6 AWD Transmission Dragging?