Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

L300 timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Banned
Default L300 timing chain

Yes, I said timing "chain". I was doing a little research on a different issue (the car stalled twice today for no apparent reason - could be fuel pump or crank position sensor) and ran across a discussion on L300 timing belts and the need to change them at regular intervals. Which got me thinking....

I have a 2001 L300 V6 sedan with pretty much all the options, leather heated seats, moon roof, etc. We purchased it used in April 2004. Around 90,000 miles (about 4 years ago?) the water pump started leaking and so I took it in to our local mechanic. when I dropped it off, he mentioned that they would replace the timing belt at the same time, since the recommendation was for replacement at 100k and they usually replace the timing belt and water pump at the same time. It would cost a hundred or so more than just replacing the pump but save me a $400 to $600 bill to replace it the next year. Sounded good to me.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up the car and was told they didn't do the timing belt change since it had a timing CHAIN. I was happy not to have to fork over a few extra hundred dollars and didn't think much of it until I started doing some research today. Nowhere have I found any indication of any 2001 Saturn L300 V6 engines with a timing chain. So, I called the Shop and asked the owner to look up the work they did when they replaced the water pump. They looked it up and said that car has a timing chain and that it didn't need to be changed. So, at least I know my memory isn't faulty.

So WHY would my mechanic tell me it had a timing chain? How would I be able to tell if the engine had a timing chain or belt? They would have seen whether or not it was a belt or a chain when the removed the water pump, right? This shop has always been very good. I've never had an issue with the work they've done and they've never tried to rip me off (unlike some of the dealerships in the area). It is a V6, not the 4-cylindar. I'm not THAT clueless.

Thanks

Last edited by fiziks; 10-15-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Sounds like your mechanic effed up or was just too lazy to do the job. From everything I can find, the 3.0 Saturn V-6 has a timing belt and not a chain. The 2.2 four cylinder has a timing chain. The first thing you need to do before condemning the timing belt is run the codes on it. If it's the CPS, it should show up. Fuel pump? You'll need to get a fuel pressure gauge from your local Autozone, etc. from their loan a tool program and place it under a wiper and drive it. Watch the gauge and see if there's any drop in the pressure. If not, rule out the fuel pump. I don't know what else to tell you, except find another mechanic.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned

Oh, I'm not condemning the timing belt. I don't think it has anything to do with the current issue. But I am a bit concerned that I have a 150,000 mile old timing belt that is 50,000 miles beyond when it should have been replaced, especially since these things have a tendency to take the engine with them when they finally break.

As for the stalling issue (it happened twice today, both times when the car was stopped - it has never stalled before), I got the car home tonight (it's my wife's car) and the "check engine soon" light is on and when I check the oil, the dipstick is dry. So I'm thinking the engine is incredibly low on oil and that affected some sensor that turned the car off. Frankly, I'm rather surprised the car made it home. If it had been the old Pontiac Grand Am, the engine block would have been one solid piece of metal before she got to work. The car has never leaked or burned oil before, so I'll top it off, start checking for leaks and keep a closer eye on the oil level. And maybe not go back to the oil change place I took it to last time.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Keep track of how much oil you had to add.
Check the frame as well as other surfaces under the car for oil that has leaked and been blown back onto other surfaces.

Get codes for SES light read at autozone or similar. It's free. Post the codes (Pxxxx) here and we'll try to help.

Get your timing belt changed somewhere---else. I'm guessing they didn't have the time or parts to do the work, or looked it up wrong or thought that all saturns have timing chains and didn't open the timing belt cover or they would have seen it was a belt--there's no confusing the two.

The shop manager will always stand behind his mechanics' work unless there is irrefutable evidence of a ****up.

If you want to stay with him, show him your evidence that it has a timing belt and ask him to do it for the cost he offered when he initially quoted you. He may just not want the work as it is a pain in the ***. In that case, take it somewhere else.

And use GM parts. And REPLACE THE BELT TENSIONER--- these usually fail before the belt itself. Once the tension on the belt that keeps everything timed properly is gone, it's a free for all and your engine is usually rendered paperweight status.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Banned

Already ahead of you on that. It took only slightly over a quart to get the oil level back where it should be. I turned it on and let it run for about five minutes to get things lubed up again and the level on the stick didn't even drop one notch (yes, I wiped it off first - also, the "service engine soon" light stayed on). Considering how dry the dip stick was, I thought it would take a bit more. I also checked the engine. There is some oil on the back side of the engine, but nothing that looks fresh and nothing on the firewall or surrounding components, so my guess it that there is some light seepage somewhere. It certainly doesn't look like it has been spraying out of the engine, and there is nothing on the garage floor.

So, we took it into a different and well respected mechanic this morning and it took them a very short amount of time to confirm that the crank position sensor was going bad (and based on previous experience with other GM products, I half-expected that to be the issue). They are also going to remove a cover to take a look at the timing belt (he said it'll take about 20 minutes to do that) to see if it needs to be replaced right now, or, if it looks OK, we will schedule the replacement for some time next week.

I have to say, the place I had been going to has always done quality work and been reasonably priced and they've taken time to show me what was wrong with the car. But they do specialize in suspensions and mufflers. So, I guess there is a lesson there.

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 AM

A man's got to know his limitations! Seems like the place you've been going to for years isn't willing to admit that.