General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Timing Chain replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 AM

I just bought my 95 SL2 last week. This is my first Saturn and first car with a timing chain so that brings me to my question. How often should I replace my timing chain? The car has just shy of 160k miles, seems to drive extremely well with no known mechanical issues. Is there a timeframe that these timing chains should be replaced in order to prevent some major engine damage from breakage? I've always owned Chevy/GMC trucks and SUV's but bought this to save on gas so I'm in need of a little bit of education when it comes to Saturn motors

Thanks for the help and insight and I look forward to learning more about Saturns!!!
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

The timing chains on these cars usually last quite a while. I have seem posts with 200K+ on the original timing chain.

If you do not notice any grinding or chattering coming from the timing chain area (from beneath the timing chain cover) and the timing on the car seems ok, chances are the chain has not stretched too much to become an immediate worry.

An auto tensioning mechanism is in there compensate forslack caused by stretching, and the guides should keep it in its intended path. If you here grinding or chattering /rattling sounds, chances are the chain is stretched and is crying for help.

Never had one break on me in these cars, personally...

DerfEdited by: derf

Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info, Derf!!! That is something I'll keep in mind. I'm guessing that the sound is very noticeable?? Right now everything sounds pretty normal and it runs pretty smooth. For some reason I was envisioning this timing chain just all of a sudden breaking without warning and then being out of luck and a messed up motor. I guess just because of the unknown and being so used to one thing in my Chevy's and GMC's and now having to get familiar with this Saturn

On a different subject, do you know how to get the outter door skin off on the driver's side front door? It appears that the torgue head bolts only turn about a quarter turn. Then after that does the skin lift off or what? I need to find out what is making my window pop out of track when I roll it down(power windows) and was told that taking off the outer door skin was the easiest way to do it with these. Any help you can give would be awesome!

Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Remove the outside door handle

Remove the torks fasteners from the door (they screw out)

Remove the door skinEdited by: sw2cam

Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 AM

hmmm....then there is something really wrong with my car then because on both the driver and passenger front doors the Torque screws only turn a quarter of a turn. I haven't tried the back doors yet.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 AM

They usually turn easily a quarter turn until the speed nut chatches. Then theres a lot of resistance until everything loosens up. Make sure you remove and install the bolts by hand. Using an attachment for a drill or air ratched tends to snal the speed nut right off the body panel.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 95_SL2
On a different subject, do you know how to get the outter door skin off on the driver's side front door?

Thanks again.
I have a write up on my site,

Here ya go:
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...1-95outerpanel .html

Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks, Man!!! This should be very helpful!!!