Timing Belt Tension in 2003 AWD V6

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Default Timing Belt Tension in 2003 AWD V6

Hello, all!

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue V6 AWD with a little over 200k on it. About 1000 miles ago, i replaced a water pump and the timing belt (along with the tensioner pulleys), and the car has been okay since then. Just now, though, my car made an awful noise and lost power on the highway. I pried open just the top corner of the belt cover to look inside, and sure enough, my timing belt appears to be out of alignment now, although it doesn't seem to have broken. I'm not sure if it is stretched or if it jumped somehow, but the tension certainly seems to be an issue. What are your thoughts? What might have caused it? As the timing belt didn't break, would this still be likely to have ruined the interference engine, or might it be saved? Any help would be appreciated as I wait for AAA and consider my future with this car.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Something belt timing related failed or came loose. I have seen them jump a couple teeth and still be ok when lined up correctly again. But since it quit on the freeway I bet it has bent valves on both heads. The only way to tell is to line everything back up and take a compression test.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Something belt timing related failed or came loose. I have seen them jump a couple teeth and still be ok when lined up correctly again. But since it quit on the freeway I bet it has bent valves on both heads. The only way to tell is to line everything back up and take a compression test.
i lined it all back up and just cranking the motor you can hear there’s is little to no compression. I may (big may here) have one cylinder without any bent valves. But I already know I have to pull the heads no matter what, just trying to find the time. I’ll post the findings when I get them off. :-)

Old 03-14-2021, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by DocM42
Hello, all!

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue V6 AWD with a little over 200k on it. About 1000 miles ago, i replaced a water pump and the timing belt (along with the tensioner pulleys), and the car has been okay since then. Just now, though, my car made an awful noise and lost power on the highway. I pried open just the top corner of the belt cover to look inside, and sure enough, my timing belt appears to be out of alignment now, although it doesn't seem to have broken. I'm not sure if it is stretched or if it jumped somehow, but the tension certainly seems to be an issue. What are your thoughts? What might have caused it? As the timing belt didn't break, would this still be likely to have ruined the interference engine, or might it be saved? Any help would be appreciated as I wait for AAA and consider my future with this car.
Thats unfortunate. Yes, please keep us informed as to what you find.
Best guess is you didnt have the actual tensioner pulley adjusted correctly.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by lrbraner
Thats unfortunate. Yes, please keep us informed as to what you find.
Best guess is you didnt have the actual tensioner pulley adjusted correctly.
i think it was the tensioner on the front of the motor that isn’t spring tensioned. It is the updated kit and i found rubber residue caked on that roller. So I. Sure that’s where it was too tight.