Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Driver's Seat Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:45 AM

My problem is this: I'm not the smallest person in the world. In fact I may have to change my name to supernova for I think I'm expanding at an exponential rate!

Anyway, after 10+ years of getting in and then "adjusting" in the seat to get comfortable (usually lifting butt and pressing against seat back, etc) the seat leans back further than it should. When I use the adjustment handle, the "catches" (not sure right term) do not stop the seat where my desired position is. Also the seatback has a broken wire that is now sticking out of the back.

I also noticed that if I get in the back and press the seat forward, it does indeed move, but I think its more akin to how you can bend a spoon, or say wire hanger.? That temporarily solves the problem for a trip out and return back, but then it is back to its original over leaning. My only reference for comparison on this is the passenger seat and I cant get it to line up the same when using the lever.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:34 PM

Sounds like it's easier just to get a whole replacement seat. U-pick It places should have plenty of Saturns. If i recall correctly, yours is an SL2 so it would have a lumbar adjustment in the seat back as well.

You'll need a Torx bit for the seat bolts, but I've forgotten what size. I just watched a video on YouTube the other day about a guy removing a seat in a Saturn. I'll see if i can find it again. I think it's just 6 bolts and the seat belt wire and it's free. It's a pretty easy job.

EDIT: I need to give richpin a beer if I ever meet the guy for how many times I've looked at his Saturn videos. He talks about a different symptom of the seats in this vid, but he does go through the process of removing a front passenger seat. The process should be the same on the drivers with the addition of the noted seat belt sensor that will need to be disconnected.

Last edited by Dave4422; 06-26-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

I know there was a recall at some point on some of the seats for failure to stay locked in place. Something to do with a defective latching mechanism -- look it up on the national highway safety.....,. Site.

Never removed a seat myself, so not sure if it comes out rails attached or not. Either way, check to make sure the bottom rails are not distorted

Last edited by derf; 06-26-2015 at 11:15 PM.