General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

93' sc2 seat belt and seat problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Default 93' sc2 seat belt and seat problems

I just bought this car from a friend for $100. He has the mechanical abilities of a monkey, even though he maintains air crafts for the air force. Anyways he knocked the price down to $100 because he was convinced that nothing inside the car worked (ie the stereo, a/c, power locks and windows). There was also a 4 inch hole in the radiator tank and a blown water pump. I got the water pump and radiator fixed, and found several blown fuses. The problem is that the automatic seat belts do not work at all. They do not move an inch from the forward position, and I checked the prest fuse and the ign 1 fuse which the forums claimed could be the problem. The speedo is about 5 mph off and the odometer stopped at 75,006, but otherwise everything else works fine. I checked the glove compartment but there are no hooks so I am stuck with just the lap belt. Do you think the PRM is the only culprit left? If so how much do they normally cost? What do you think could have caused the odometer to stop working? I never checked the cable that links it to the transaxel? It really is not that big of a deal, I just use it to remember when to change the oil. Oh, and the driver seat reclines completely if you put any pressure on the seat. I know they had a problem in 94-95 with the teeth in the recliner going bad, but was this common in 93? Do I have to buy a whole new seat or could I just find the assembly? Also has anyone tried swapping the automatic seat belt with the later models stationary ones? Thank you for reading this long post. Just trying to get the saturn base worthy so I do not have to get 9 mpg in my durango

Last edited by msattler; 02-08-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Oh, I just found this out as well... Apparently the windshield wiper nozzles do not work? I pull back on the handle and the pump does not even come on. The fuses appear to be good, though I took out the chime fuse because someone put a kia cd player in there, and with the fuse in the radio stays on after the car is off. I know the lcd will kill the battery, so I just removed it. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

put the chime fuse back in, pull the radio, and rewire it properly.

If I remember correctly the Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) signal goes through the passive restraint module (PRM) on the way to the dash electronics, which drive the speedo/odo. I assume they designed it this way so that the PRM would know how fast the car was moving and would not open the seat belt at 85 mph even if the door flew open in a crash.

Anyway, I would normally suspect the PRM itself, located between the seats under the center console, as people usually spill coffee or soda in the console, which leaks through and fries the module.

Alot of times, it seems that the VSS signal gets sufficiently wrecked by a bad PRM such that the dash electronics cannot be driven properly.

You can try replacing the VSS, no guarantees. If that does not work, then you can search for the PRM in a yard somewhere -- most yard owners know the new ones if you can even find one are about 500....

Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Thank you