General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

L200 died, help please!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
rah
Default L200 died, help please!

My and my girlfriend have owned this car for 4 years now and it has been a great car, from the daily routines of going to work, taking the kids here and there and even a few long get away drives for the weekend, but today for the first time ever it just died!. I do not have a manual for this car and this is why i am asking for your help. Here is the break down.

The car is a 2003 L200, 4cyl 2.2L. We were driving and slowed down to let a car turn, and when i started to power up the car hesitated and died. I have checked everything and it comes down to fuel. No fuel is getting to the engine.

The fuel pump is not making any sounds when the ignition is turned on, and i had someone turn it over while i was pushing the bypass valve on the fuel line and there was no fuel coming out. I also checked the fuse and the relay and they are fine. The last thing i did is spraying starter fluid directly into the throttle body and my girlfriend cranked it over and it fired right up!. So now that i know it is fuel, here is my couple of questions for you:

1) Is there a fuel shut off switch and if yes, where is it located?

2) If it is (most likely is) the fuel pump, is it an internal one located in the fuel tank?. And is the tank needs to be dropped or is it a different access, like back seat or something?.

3) My final question for you guys would be to know if anyone has ever had to do a fuel pump on a similar car and how long/difficult was it?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions any of you have!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:57 PM

Drop the tank replace the pump/sending unit. If you want the correct parts go to your nearest Saturn Parts Counter. If you want change it every 4 months using the lifetime warranty go to AdvanceCheckerZone or BillBaitShop&AutoParts.

Last edited by sw2cam; 09-27-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Banned

Like sw2CAM suggests ... drop the tank and replace the pump/sending unit. Of course, the less fuel in the tank, the easier that task becomes, but please, no smoking when doing this, OK? Plan on getting dirty, and also plan on most of a day (unless you have done this before).

Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 AM
rah

cool thank you guys for the info. I was not sure if there was a trap to access it or the tank needed to be dropped. The fuel pump itself is on the way, i hope i got all the tools i need for this!. I think i will do it in 2 parts, starting wednesday evening for the drop of the tank and then finishing it friday. I will post once i get it going. Thanks for all the advices.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
rah

Originally Posted by sw2cam
Drop the tank replace the pump/sending unit. If you want the correct parts go to your nearest Saturn Parts Counter. If you want change it every 4 months using the lifetime warranty go to AdvanceCheckerZone or BillBaitShop&AutoParts.
Thanks for the advices.

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Like sw2CAM suggests ... drop the tank and replace the pump/sending unit. Of course, the less fuel in the tank, the easier that task becomes, but please, no smoking when doing this, OK? Plan on getting dirty, and also plan on most of a day (unless you have done this before).
Good thing i quit smoking then .

Update: So i finally got to do it yesterday and boy it took a while for sure. I started at noon by raising the car as high as i could go and started by dropping the exhaust from the cat back, just 3 bolts and a bunch of hangers!. After that, both shields went down and then the straps that are holding the tank. It took a little while to disconnect everything from the tank to have it entirely off the car. Once the pump was out and i took care of the kids, then it was time to built it back up. I was all done with a new fuel filter as well at about 11PM and it fired right up! .

Thanks for the help guys and i will try to post some pics soon!.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned

Glad to hear back from a successful repair. Enjoy your ride, and we'll be on the lookout for your pics ....

Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Don't delay with the pictures

Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Default Help

Did you ever get pikz of this?...I think mine is dead too and im trying to test to make sure. Did you test the pressure with the guage under the hood first?

Originally Posted by rah
Thanks for the advices.

Good thing i quit smoking then .

Update: So i finally got to do it yesterday and boy it took a while for sure. I started at noon by raising the car as high as i could go and started by dropping the exhaust from the cat back, just 3 bolts and a bunch of hangers!. After that, both shields went down and then the straps that are holding the tank. It took a little while to disconnect everything from the tank to have it entirely off the car. Once the pump was out and i took care of the kids, then it was time to built it back up. I was all done with a new fuel filter as well at about 11PM and it fired right up! .

Thanks for the help guys and i will try to post some pics soon!.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

that would be a logical 1st step

Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM
rah

Originally Posted by Gekko8
Did you ever get pikz of this?...I think mine is dead too and im trying to test to make sure. Did you test the pressure with the guage under the hood first?

Sorry to everyone, i forgot to post the pics, its been a while, work has been crazy since and i spaced on it. I will post them as soon as possible. I did not test the pressure first, it would have been logical but i just did not do that. The car has been running great ever since!