Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

security relay SL-1

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Default security relay SL-1

Does anyone know where and if The 2001 SL-1 has a security relay ?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:29 PM

I would check the fuse box under the hood. Flip the cover over and it will tell you what fuses go to which component. Why do you want to disengage the security to the car?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a thinkin he's having issues with it and trying to troubleshoot.
One of the many saving graces of owning a 95 and 97 is not having to deal with that passlock crap.

If a starter disable isn't enough of a deterrent, then set off the alarm, come back in 30 min, and pick up the car with your shaved key. You've earned it.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Trying to troubleshoot my starting problems. Sometimes it will work fine and sometimes the security light flashes and it won't start. Thinking of bypassing the thing. It's not like a 2001 sl-1 is high up on a chop shops list .

Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 PM

With any trouble starting the car, make sure the battery terminals are clean and the cables are tight. Also check the charge of the battery if it isn't new or of unknown age. These are easy steps to start with.

Next I would check the fuses under the hood. There's a fuse box next to the air cleaner and one under the dash in the driver's footwell. I don't remember which one is the security fuse, but check to see if it isn't blown.

After that it's beyond my expertise. I changed out the ignition cylinder on mine because it was difficult for me to get the key turned. If that's an issue for you as well, it might solve your problem too.

Would the brake interlock or clutch position sensor throw a security light, or would that be a check engine light? Probably check engine and throw a code.

Have you checked if it's thrown any codes?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

S Series Saturns of your vintage have the Passlock II security system, which I believe was only used for the 3rd Gen S series (not 1st or 2nd gen)

Resetting the passlock system on your car is fairly straightforward. The whole process takes 30 minutes. If you make a mistake during the process, you will have to start over.
1. Turn ignition switch to run position.
2. Momentarily turn key to start position. Do not start vehicle.
3. Wait 10 minutes.
4. When security light changes from flashing to off, or from on to off, turn ignition switch to off position.
5. Perform this process 3 times.(starting with step one)After third time, vehicle should start on next ignition cycle.

If that reset method works, it MAY get the Passlock security out of whatever funk it's in and return to normal operation.
______
Other ideas:

GM anti-theft systems, vehicle theft deterrent, passkey, passlock, VATS, how they work, how to fix, and how to reset. Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

There is a wealth of information on this site regarding reset procedures, trouble codes that will set, etc.

NOTE: You must use a code SCANNER to access these codes, as most are "body" (Bxxxx) codes. A code READER in general accesses only the P codes.

Actually there are a few security system codes that ARE P codes but they do NOT turn on the SES light; they are stored in memory and retrieved during a scan.

Probably a good place to start diag.
Replacement parts are expensive but seems silly to trash a vehicle over a security system.

If you have an uncontrollable urge to bypass....

Security light on? Car not starting? Everything else works like it should? You probably have a failed security system... This is a very common problem on GM vehicles.

led me to

PERMANENTLY Disable and Remove GM Security Systems

I'm guessing from my electronics background that the NewRoockies Pro module takes a 12V input from the battery, drips it to 5V for use in logic circuits, then has you disconnect the ignition switch signal to the BCM, replace it with a signal (prob 5 V ) that corresponds to "key cylinder is ok".
Then they have you hack into the bcm connectors to patch in whatever signals the BCM would receive and send if the entire system was fully functional.

So basically it is a full simulator of the passkey system inputs and outputs that bypasses the built in system by feeding the BCM what it wants to see in order to get the BCM to say "all clear, enable starting".

Rather pricey, (249/199) but seems like they did their homework.

That said, I have NO idea if this device or the company is LEGIT

Last edited by derf; 07-01-2015 at 11:49 PM.