Trunk leakage...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 06:53 PM
Thumbs up

Thought I had found it, (a small rust spot). But that was not the cause of the leakage. The leakage came from two other areas:

Not sure if all the Ion2's for every year has this, but there is a vent on the right side trunk area. And that's were it leaked. Fixing it will require removing the entire right side quarter panel to gain access to the vent. The water trails from above, around the trunk seal and leads to the vent and also to a small plastic plug. As the car ages the plug no longer tightly seals, nor does the vent as the seal around the vent hardens up. Use ribbon seal. It's not an easy job to remove the plastic quarter panel. Nor to remove the rear lights and part of the bumper, (which includes the right rear door trimming). All are plastic.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Damn,

5 months later and you took the time to come back AND with detailed pictures and an explanation.

Truly appreciated. Most people never come back so we never know what the problem was Nor how to fix it. Glad it's taken care of.

Thanks again. Stick around.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:33 AM
Smile

Lol! Wow...was it that long? Yeah I thought I nipped it 5 months ago. I rarely use the car so I had no idea if there were any problems. Just so happens that a couple of weeks back someone wanted to borrow my jumpers that were in the trunk in the spare/jack compartment.

Once I lifted up the carpet...BAM! A puddle completely covering the jack/spare and the jumpers floating all rusted up and totally useless. No happy. So I had to find were exactly was the leak coming from? I set up my hose to simulate a powerful rain pour and crawled through the back seat with a flashlight and waited. Within a couple of seconds I began to see the trail of water seeping into the trunk from the plastic plug and the vent.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Nice thread good pictures. I've been suspecting that have been getting water in my trunk periodically. Wondering why some of my tools like pliers and things are feeling Rusty even though they're in my husky and not feeling wet it made me think that I'm getting water in the trunk somehow and there's extra moisture in there as it evaporates

Old 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DropDead
That vent is known to leak
You were dead on!

Old 12-04-2020, 12:05 PM

thanks man. Now I know how to fix that when I get to it. But I got bigger problems for now. I love this forum. So hard to get a straight answer out of Google. Especially for the 2006 Saturn Ions. It almost feels like a Google conspiracy because anytime I ask something about them I have to sift through all kinds of slightly related data or different year and models of Saturn's.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:18 PM
Thumbs up

The Saturn make was an enigma. Only those who have once experienced one bad or good will post or comment about it. It's tough finding any good information about them since support by GM is null and void, (it caused them a lot of grieve even when they tried to unload the make to foreign car manufacturers). Glad I could help. I'm trying to maintain the 'force' in my own small way...