General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Always make sure your s car trunk is LATCHED or....

Old 11-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default Always make sure your s car trunk is LATCHED or....

End up with rain getting into the trunk between the lid by the windshield and filling up both back sidewells as it runs down the sides. As a bonus, your spare tire well collects the rest.

I tend not to slam the trunk closed because the electrically driven actuator wire leads have been ripped off in such a way that the only way to have the thing functional was to reattach it with some nasty *** epoxy. I don't want to risk it cracking off so I close the trunk gently.

As the torsion bars that hold the trunk lid up have long since stopped doing so, the trunk lid can be released, but it will immediately come to rest right on top of the u hook. .You can't tell the difference from the driver's seat.

I only recently got a new RKE fob; other stuff in my pocket could have depressed the trunk release.

More likely I accidentally pulled the wrong lever at a gas station, then lost focus and drove around who knows how long w the lid open just enough to catch rain...

Worse yet the water from a touch less car wash jet pointing directly horizontal in to the trunk. Maybe that makes more sense since there is weatherstripping around the body where the trunk lid seals.

That was last month.

I never put anything in the trunk so I didn't notice until cleaning corrosion off the contacts of some bulb sockets prior to inspection prompted me to open it.....ugh. Wet trunkiner carpet, puddles down in the spare well, and back corner dips soaked.

Time to carefully heat gun, Lysol, and fabreze the mess after I wet vac out the spare well.

Anyone have unblemished never soaked trunkiner carpet for a 2nd gen sc2? 3rd gen may work, I need to look it up.

Blehhhkkkkccccchh

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:17 AM

My redline trunk leaks, I feel the pain man. It sucks :/

I have a few Ion carpets you can have

Old 11-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks. However my wife does not trust me with scissors so we'll have to chat offline.

Water drained w wet/dry vac. Bunch of brown mud in there on the bottom....kinda stuck to the metal. Not sure if 18 yrs of dirt or something growing and I wasn't gonna snort it to find out.

I used Tilex to clean down the surfaces. Was surprised it did not damage the paint finish at all. Only 2 tiny paint dots missing in the spare well, but many spots of paint raising up down there. That water's been there longer than a month...? Should have smelled worse.

Lungs now burn from use of Tilex in non ventilated area.
I may just leave carpet out. Dunno.

Taking a break, will then commence cleaning interior

Old 11-07-2015, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

ok,

Zeke 16.5 yr old cat overdue for petting session on kitchen floor. 20 min petting. Must have dozed off , woke up at 4 , had some food, surfed stupid web, now going back out to fabreze trunk and vacuum interior.

Still have tilex caught in my sinuses as the smell will not dissipate.
I'm thinking brake cleaner should neutralize it. Thoughts?

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, smell in garage mostly dissipated. Fabrezed trunk, seems ok. Also had to tilex and fabreze the chipboard cover that sits over the spare tire.

Vacuumed like crazy -- I obviously haven't done this recently.
Plus I found 27 cents in change, several tools which had gone MIA, and then semi detailed all the interior plastic, which is pretty much everything except the seats

Finished at 9.this morning.

Think I'll take a nap.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Don't know if you shop at Dollar tree, they have this stuff called Purple Blast. That stuff works AMAZINGLY on just about anything, and doesn't smell bad.
I use it on my dash and trim pieces. It would have probably taken care of your trunk, as well.

Sleep well bud.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Woke up at 3:30, ate pretty much nothing, logged on here and made a pretty post about goalies's APP redline issue.

Then lost it 1 hour in by hitting "back" in the wrong tab
Recreated since all tabs where I researched were still open.

Why did I do this? I think it's cause I don't wanna go clean up and air out the garage. Or put away the dishes. Or clean house. Or watch tv.

Or because I care.

(D'AWWWW)

Last edited by derf; 01-01-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Woke up at 3:30, ate pretty much nothing, logged on here and made a pretty post about goalies's APP redline issue.

Then lost it 1 hour in by hitting "back" in the wrong tab
Recreated since all tabs where I researched were still open.

Why did I do this? I think it's cause I don't wanna go clean up and air out the garage. Or put away the dishes. Or clean house. Or watch tv. Or update my resume

Or because I care.

(D'AWWWW)
Don't lie, you just don't wanna do the "hunny do list" lmao

Old 11-16-2015, 05:53 PM

Non taken bro, youre good.
We all go through things. And you've got my number (I know im not always the best at replying quickly) so text me whenever. You know I hardly sleep.

The past is the past, yes. And as my girlfriend says, "you can be bitter, or you can be better". It all goes by how we project things. Positivity is not always easy, but sometimes it takes a break down to realize that its time to take a deep breath and start over.

And the best time to work is the middle of the night. The peace and quiet is relaxing.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:35 AM

I probably don't, but life is like a puzzle, and I want nothing more than to solve it. It is all a game, so eventually there has to be an end.