Safety Recall - Ion Ignition Switch

Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Default Safety Recall - Ion Ignition Switch

Just wanted to give specifics on this recall that has gained a lot of attention. I read some online (Wikipedia) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_General_Motors_recall
There have been deaths associated with this faulty switch, so this is more than just getting the air changed out in the tires, as I had prioritized it in my mind.

The letter I got from GM to recall my 2005 Ion came in April and as most of you know this covers a wide range of GM vehicles. If you've moved or for some reason have missed all the news on this, and/or haven't received a recall letter, go here to see if you need to contact your dealer: http://www.gmignitionupdate.com/
When I called 2 weeks ago (yep, I'm always delinquent at getting around to things), here's what the local GM dealership said they will do on my model:
  1. Replace faulty ignition switch
  2. replace ignition cylinder
  3. cut 2 new keys (key fobs are not covered so don't throw that thing away!)
They ordered the parts and said it will be 6 weeks till they're ready.
Has anyone had this done yet on an Ion or Sky? any issues we need to know about if we own one of these models? I'm curious, because for a while now, I've had a clicking sound occur randomly after I turn car off & remove my key from the cylinder. I hear several successive clicks just a few seconds after key comes out. could this be another symptom of a faulty ignition switch? or is it maybe a relay or solenoid that controls some function of the ignition or key cylinder? thanks! dennis

Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 PM

Since I don't own either vehicle, I can't tell you, Dennis. I'm surprised that nobody else has said yea or nay, though.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

Had the ignition recall and the power steering recall done on our 07 Ion about 3 weeks ago.

No strange noises before or after the work was done.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Magentaman
Had the ignition recall and the power steering recall done on our 07 Ion about 3 weeks ago.

No strange noises before or after the work was done.

If you plan on using this site stop in the new member sub forum and introduce yourself to the gang.
Add a SIGNATURE. Top right next to your user name click on the drop down. Add your first name, location, and car. Get your post count up to TEN asap, or your account will be gone. Once you get 25 posts sw2cam will make you an avatar on request

Old 04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Default Ignition switch recall & other related recall

wanted to update everyone. I got the following recalls done on Nov 18th by Chevy dealership in Garland, TX: 14063B - ignition switch replacement. 14113C - Ignition lock cylinder + 2 keys cut. 14115B - Power steering assist motor was replaced. no charge, no hassle, good service. hope everyone else had close to same experience. glad i had it done, old keys were getting hard to use, and the alternative of causing an accident wasn't exciting to me.

Now, about that clicking noise i described coming from the ignition cylinder / steering column. If anyone has that happen, you might want to call & discuss w dealer. I got another recall notice describing an issue where "the transmission shifter may not properly transmit an electrical signal that allows the ignition key to be turned counter clockwise ... after the vehicle has been shifted into park." This has happened to me but never since the ignition cylinder was replaced in November. and i haven't heard the clicking sound - at least nothing near what it was before recalls above were completed.

Transm shifter recall came in December to me - 14632. It is more of a courtesy warning, not an immediate request to schedule an appt. I don't plan to take mine in unless i have the issue come again. hope this helps anyone with similar symptoms. My car seems to be fine for about 5-6 mos now after the recall work.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Well, that'll be a fun one first time it happens, when you get to work, put it in park, can't turn the key to off, prob can't arm the alarm (I suspect, not sure), and your battery main drain all day depending on how the ignition is configured (if it's stuck in the run position, I think you're kinda screwed).

May not sound urgent now but sure will be when it leaves you up the creek with only a key fob.

Especially since this has happened to you before --- GM is saying the issue is with the trans shift switch. Go get a new one or get it adjusted---whatever. Or roll the dice.

Many many issues lurk in the silence.......