General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Ignition switch vs solenoid/starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Default Ignition switch vs solenoid/starter

Everything I've read suggests my ignition switch or my solenoid/starter is probably bad. I've seen videos on replacing the ignition switch, but it seems a bit overwhelming. Where as replacing the starter seems a bit easier. Before I remove the starter and take it in for testing I thought I'd ask another question.

I've read that when you turn the key to start:
If the headlights dim, the ignition switch is okay, the solenoid/starter may be bad.
If the headlights do not dim, it may be the ignition switch, as there is no current is getting to the starter to draw current.

Does this sound right?

Last edited by sidvail; 10-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Try something really simple and easy first. Remove and clean your battery connections at the battery. Ground cable first and then the pos. Clean them and then reconnect pos first and then the ground. Snug them and try to start the car. Do that, and we'll go from there. I have never heard of what you say you heard and I'm an old fart. Where the hell are you getting your information?

Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM

Forums and how-to's. Not being familiar with this makes it more difficult to follow, so I may be getting my ducks out of line. I have a mechanic coming over to help me out - so hopefully we'll track this down.

I've done the battery connectors, checked all the fuses, even used a ez-scan 5000 and found no trouble codes. At a loss here. I've checked all the voltages at different points and everything seems fine. Bypassed the clutch safety switch even. Have not climbed under the car yet to jumper the solenoid as I'm the only one here.

I really want to learn this stuff myself - but agree it's hard to use forums for feedback. Thank you for posting though.