My Redline

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

please have a moderator move these posts to the correct thread so I don't have to

Old 06-24-2015, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Surprisingly you can get a pretty heavy duty pair of spring compressors at the dishonorable AutoBlown. They offer the OEM brand heavy duty ones with locking pinsto keep it fr shifting while tightening.

I actually did all 8 struts on my S cars with them-- you can use a 1/2 in drive or impact gun.

They do a loan a tool on a version of these but I'm not sure which specs are different

Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM

Oftentimes, it's the same tool... They were like that when I wanted to rent a tie rod tool for the Taurus... In the case of most places, you basically pay for the item, then return it in mint condition for your money back...

Old 06-25-2015, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Which is why I own my spring compressor pair, ball joint separator fork....Even though the ball joints are integral to the LCA's on S cars, getting them out of the hub is "fun" when you have no lift, no room to swing a mallet, and seemingly no way to find the one magical compound angle where, after wailing on it for 5 min and getting nowhere, you lean on it to adjust your position and it falls out in your hand. I was just getting the hang of finding that position when I ran out of front struts to replace. An acquired skill -- at least for me.

My username is my everyday nickname because I do everything bass ackwards.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:23 AM

I decided I shall be doing a compound twin charge build. Simply because people say it shouldn't be done.
Either going to use a slowbalt stock k04 or go with the zzp s256 for my turbo choice, just because they can be had so cheap. Probably use the stock slowbalt exhaust mani as well.
Probably end up getting aftermarket upper and lower charge pipes lightly used. Along with an aftermarket intercooler, unless I can figure out how to make the turbo work with the air to water before hand.
If I don't use the stock pulley, I may use the extra 2.9 I have. A bit of an over kill, but I can turn boost down on the turbo side to compensate.

Its either this, or drop to a 2.6 pulley with water injection, and an aggressive head port.

Option a is probably cheaper.
As for tuning, I need to talk to my tuner about it once I figure out pricing to realistically see how long this will take me. If he doesn't like the idea, or has never done it. Then ill order HPT and figure it out. Whats the worst that can happen? I loose my motor? Oh well. Its part of the game.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:27 AM

Oh, a/c still hasn't been fixed. Why? I don't care. A/c isn't important to me. Need to swap out the wiring for a head light, get my oil pressure gauge installed, and got a deal on a ladder tac, so that is being mailed Monday.
Probably going to swap the trunk with the extra one I have, because it doesn't have paint ripped off or key marks across it. Plus it has the "ION" on it, and I can add the redline emblem next to it. Debating on adding the 2.0 on the right side of the trunk like Saturn did with the 2.4s. Not sure yet though.

I don't work all these hours for nothing. I will have fun on my time off.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:56 PM

Just a thought on your twin charge setup- the turbo, blowing into your throttle body(and supercharger), will be using your factory water-to-air intercooler... Now, it won't be as nice as using a big FMIC, but it will cool the air charge... You can decide on whether to use a FMIC and ditch the FMHE you're using now(and lower the efficiency of the water-to-air cooler), or just add more heat exchangers... Or cut a hole in your hood and run a top mount intercooler...

Old 07-12-2015, 12:36 AM

As crazy as it sounds, I was considering running both.
Can I? Not really sure.
I was going to either add the zzp front mount I have with the stock heat exchanger, or add another stock heat exchanger.
Then put the intercooler in front of that. May be an overkill, if even possible, but I guess I wont know until I find out. Not to much info online about these set ups.
Hell, all that may not even fit.
But also, I have an extra endplate. I might look into taping it to make a single pass instead of using the dual pass also. Numbers look good for the few people who run it (its like, $400 or something stupid high).
I wish I could bypass the air bag module on one of the wrecked cars and experiment on that.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:42 AM

Just figured out how the charge pipes will run. Now to figure out how the boost solenoid/pcv lines will work.
I'll draw a diagram of all this once I figure it out.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:52 PM

Here is a basic rundown of the set up. Might need to move the blow off valve, but not entirely sure yet.
Name:  twincharge.png
Views: 159
Size:  33.7 KB

Stock k04 pushes 15psi stock. so I need to keep the boost down on the supercharger side so I don't pop the motor right away. Thinking a 2.9 SHOULD be ok, but that might still be to much boost on that side. I may need to up it to a 3.1 or bigger to try and get it around 13.

Still need to find the equation to figure out the boost. I know people have pushed 30 pounds out of the stock motor, but I don't want that much. I am aiming for about 22-25 so I have play room incase anything goes wrong.

Hopefully this will work out. The blower is more so working at lower RPMs while the turbo builds for the hight end. The bypass/blow off will be the tricky part to tune in. Hopefully my tuner is down for trying this out.

As for cooling, as you see, I want to run air>air>water. Plan on keeping the option b and dual pass for the blower, while the air to air works for the turbo and hits the heat exchanger. Running a pulley around 3 inches, that is an overkill. I would be ok with just dual pass.
I am really hoping the intercooler fits with the heat exchanger behind the bumper.

If anyone has any input, feel free. I am all ears on this as I cant find to much information on the topic.

Quick Reply: My Redline