My Redline

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:22 PM

It has been dead.... Because no one is doing anything big....Plus everyone uses the facebook group, which is just a joke. Makes us look like engineers.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

RLForum's going dead?
Someone better get that site backed up so it doesn't go the way of turbosaturns.net

Old 07-22-2015, 02:16 AM

Theres a handful of us that frequent...but we it still gets boring.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:15 PM

So, it has been brought to my attention, that I have not done as much research as I thought I did for my current set up, and its quite frankly, crap. Explains why I have issues.

Twincharging is now on hold. Selling the k04, intercooler, and downpipe. Found out ill just blow em to pieces with 30 pounds of boost anyway.

Time to start over.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:04 PM

Wait, wait... What is crap about your setup? Ours are pretty similar, I'm trying to gather info...

Old 07-30-2015, 01:30 PM

Review the post on RLF,
I linked it here. Youll see it if you go log on there. Its by GMRedline.
There is a lot of reading inside reading to do.

My exhaust is restrictive. My intake is to small. My cooling needs some work. Basic stuff.

Last edited by goaliemo; 07-30-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM

Yeah, but that's no reason to sell your turbo stuff... Just get some more cooling mods, open the exhaust up when you mount the turbo downpipe(I would wait until then anyway), and the intake can be fabbed up...

Besides, the boost from the turbo will be cooler in temperature than boost from a roots blower, and you're limiting the blower to near stock boost and using it to spool the turbo...

Get the griffin HE, and run your FMIC in front of it... Keep the dual pass and option B setup, and go for it! Besides, we both know that 30 psi out of the gate, on a stock k03 isn't gonna happen... Maybe 25... And that will be good for more than the stock block should theoretically handle anyway...

Old 07-31-2015, 02:20 AM

Exactly. Running the 12 pounds will feed the 15 pounds which will create the 25-30 depending on the tune. The k04 at most is good for 20-24. Even on the low end, ill be risking it.
Im not so much worried about that, it is going to take my some time to get all that figured out anyway. I almost want to get a second motor for that to do a full build, but that's besides the point.

I need to get my current set up right before I take another step so I don't screw myself in the long run.

I have a few ideas, but I don't know.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 AM

Now that I have been sitting here doing a lot of reading, looking at graphs, learning how the intake flows, exhaust flows, cooling variables/mixtures, where the restrictions are, I have a better idea now.

The redline intake to start, is the first major restriction because of how it is designed.
Nothing I can do about that except make it bigger.
Solution-3-3.5 intake (If I go the 3.5 route, I will have to custom make that)

That leads to the throttle body, ok, I have an ls4, I am good there (although, I want to find out about maybe a slight polish on it to clean it up for better flow).

M62- Builds boost, cool. The ls4 is already trying to cram air in there, that the blower wants no business spinning. How do you make the blower want to compress that air? PORT IT! and how do I make it compress it faster? 2.6 pulley!

And this leads to the next issue. Our intake side out flows our exhaust side. So from here, really the only way to fix the next couple of issues is head work. A slight polish on the intake, and an aggressive port on the exhaust side. Not something I can do, or fork up 1200 dollars for just yet.
Ill eventually buy a second head so I can build it.

Leaving the head now knowing the exhaust side is a major restriction, you want to get the gases out as quickly and efficiently as possible in as much of a smooth flow as possible.
Best way to do that is to have it flow as far as it can, away from the head, without anything causing it to stop.
Solution? Long tube header, 3 inch down pipe (high flow cat, because itll sound like crap without, I can sacrifice a few horse for my ear drums), 3 inch cat back, no resonator, magnaflow muffler.

All this is good and well, aye.
Got a good flow figured out, I believe.

Now, the important part, because I am not blowing my motor over something dumb.

COOLING!!!

I spent several hours yesterday reading about a ported intake manifold with a single pass endplate.
From what I found out, yes, it is worth it...if you can find someone to port an intake manifold for yuh.
I am still looking to see if a single pass endplate is available anywhere. If not, I will stick with my dual pass, and re route the hoses better.

I also found out, that with out laminova cores, the company that produces them recommends that the housing is no smaller than 15mm....and of course GM messed up that design, and the largest part of the housing is 14mm.
Good enough reason a ported intake manifold would be beneficial.

Alrighttty.
Next up. Apparently someone designed a flow through tank a few years back, that is super beneficial, but it never got popular. Why? I don't know. Still looking into more information myself on it.
But basically what it seems is instead of the option b having a "bleeder" that doesn't do anything, it "bleeds" or "flows through" the intake manifold to keep a more steady flow of coolant going.

Next up, heat exchangers. As Bonestock mentioned, go Griffin. At first, I was going to go with a ZZP Stealth over the Griffin, but reading further, people have fitment issues with the stealth, and I'm not looking to rig something to make it work. The griffin fits how it is supposed to, and overall has a better consumer rating.
Now, with this, the griffin will go where the stock h/e is, and the stock one will be moved to the front to be used as a front mount. Why?
Because the stock one is more efficient than an after market front mount.

Finally. Water. Yes, water.
I am going to build a water injection set up. Need to do more research on this.Whether I end up making a pump, or buying one, it is going to happen.
Spray pre AND post blower.

This system will not be run on anti-freeze either like a normal cooling set up. It will be 85% water to 15% anti-freeze.

And, this may pertain to this, but I am looking into a return style fuel system as well. Not sure if I will max out the 60s I am running (doubt it) but worst case I up to 80s.
I suppose the better the fuel flows, the quicker it can combust.

Now that I spent the last 45 minutes rambling with my ricer scenarios, IF I am lucky, I should be at around 280ish with a good tune, if not better.

Its time for bed all. This was driving me crazy all day.

G'night.

Last edited by goaliemo; 07-31-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:05 AM

So, are you still going twin charge or just tryin to build a badazz M62 setup? If you're twin charging, the intake will have to be custom anyway, due to your TB being fed from an intercooler, not from the fenderwell...

In the exhaust side, you'll need a new manifold to run a turbo, and if you ever plan on going there I wouldn't waste cash on a long tube header, knowing that it will be replaced with a turbo header later on... Same for downpipe/catback...

The ported IM is a good idea, but mostly has benefit as a cooling mod, unless you also gasket match the ports to an intake gasket too... As for head porting, definitely port everything as much as possible(including intake side), cost depends on you... It will help massively, whether just blower-fed or twin-charged...

2.6 pulley is a little overkill for the twin charge setup, but it is fine for an M62 only build...

For fuel, only gain as much as you need... If you're going twin charged, definitely go for a set of 80# or even a set of ID1000's(use a BRFPR), but I think that your 60s will be okay for a gasoline M62 only build...

If you go twin charged, don't just rely on the ECU to adjust boost... Get a manual controller, set it to something the engine will handle until you get a built engine... Even if you only go 20-22psi, you will be guaranteed to break the 300whp mark, unless your tune completely sucks...

Oh, and don't put engine coolant in your water injection, use isopropyl alcohol instead... Works better than dex-cool will I'm sure...

Quick Reply: My Redline