Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Sc2

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by fou 2
I'm sure bringing it down to bare surface is preferable but that is a bit beyond what I can do.
Whatever you are using to remove layers just keep going.The primer they used for many years was cheaper but does not have the UV protection needed. It is formulated to reflect UV and this has a negative effect on the color and clear coats. You don't need to go through the primer but if you don't want it to look like patches again you will want to go to bare metal. Use etching primer on the bare meta then do the color clear coats.
If you leave the primer coat and paint over it you will likely be fine for a few years before patches shows up again.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the advice.
I haven't done much since taking the photos. I sanded the front bumper a bit more and sanded the failed paint on the rear bumper. I sanded the rear damage down to the plastic on that rear corner. I feathered it out and shot some primer mostly to cover it for now.
I'm still not sure what I will do with the hood. I'm thinking of doing most of the sanding and I might get an estimate on the cost of just painting the hood from a shop. The hood is the biggest problem for me. No garage unless I borrow one.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:50 AM

Why not just go to the salvage yard and get another hood? Who cares if it's the same color?

Old 03-13-2024, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Some people are driven not only by practicality but also by symmetry. Myself included. By symmetry I mean matching parts make the whole.

That and this gentleman seems to feel that this vehicle is an extension of himself so he wishes to project through it the best image he can. Just as you stopped wearing yellow slacks to work in the '90s, he wants the hood to be the way it should in his mind.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM

How dare you, Sir? I NEVER wore yellow pants. Khakis? Yes. Yellow? No way in hell. LOL

Old 03-19-2024, 07:41 AM

I'd rather pull a drivetrain and do a full rebuild on the engine than messwith paint.

I just don't have the knack for it.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by onlinebiker
I'd rather pull a drivetrain and do a full rebuild on the engine than messwith paint.

Best of luck to you.
I agree with you, man. I miss rebuilding engines.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Why not just go to the salvage yard and get another hood? Who cares if it's the same color?
Sorry for late reply.
I am just going to try to do something with the hood that is on it. I just want to make it look better than it does now. a coat of paint after sanding should hold up for a while. If the paint fails, it won't look worse than now.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by onlinebiker

Best of luck to you.
Thanks
Paint is definitely a pain. I had to postpone work on it for a while. Maybe have it done in a couple weeks.
I can't do the major work, like trans or engine replace. So far, it has been holding up pretty good for the last 12ys that I've had it. The last thing I repaired was doing a starter replace, which is difficult on the SC2 when just on jack stands.
Two years ago I replaced the entire exhaust system which was surprisingly easy. It was actually easier than replacing the starter. lol So far lucky with the after market cat. Not triggering any codes.