General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Sc2 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Door lock switch 1997-2002 sl2 SC2 are the same.

I THINK you can pull the rocking switch mechanism and buttons out of the trim piece and replace just that piece into the old trim. This means if you have a left-handed switch, you should be able to pop out the rocking part as I believe they are identical on both sides. Just a question of which way you plug in the harness. But do it on a broken switch first if you try it. This memory is from 8 years ago.

Also, make sure that the door jam switches are sealed from moisture.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:58 AM

That would be great if I could use a left switch since its easier to come bye, I also am glad you clarified the interchangeable parts and reminded yo buy some sealer for the doorjamb because honestly I did forget. Looks like to LKQ I go and ill get any and everything I can see thats discontinued.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Please remember that I said I THINK the swap of the switch module is possible. I would try it at the yard. Or with your broken one.

You could spend many thousands of dollars buying discontinued parts. I don't recommend it. Most of the truly impossible to find parts will have been stripped off that vehicle by the time you get to it unless it is fresh in the yard.

Interior you are talking 97 and 98 for sure except for things like the dash cluster which became electronic for the odometer in 98, and 99s and up or 2000s and up have a BCM whereas the older vehicles don't. This means the wiring for most non-engine control things are running to the BCM and not the PCM. The result is a wiring harness that will likely not be long enough in certain places should you need it. Of course it may be longer in other parts.

Surprisingly you can still find a lot of parts for the second generation 97 98 s cars. Coolant expansion tanks, radiators, alternators, starters, parking brake cables. Window regulators are very hard to come by so you have to race to the yard when a new S car comes in for one that fits your vehicle.

I strongly recommend you make a spreadsheet of parts and from which years and models you can grab.

Most of the under the hood parts for the sedan SL2 and sw2 should fit. Interior is probably a different story in some respects. Overlapping gears are different because each of these two models went into second generation at a different time than the coupe did. Which is why you need to do your research ahead of time.

Some of the SL1 and sw1 parts will also fit depending on what they are.

So study up

​​​​​​

Old 09-18-2021, 06:20 PM

Moving into my new shop this week and getting a grand caravan finished up to sell this week, but I'm usually down to go junk yard hopping on the weekends to get parts if anyone ever needs.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you muchly, sir.