General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2004 Vue driver window and door speaker not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 11:49 AM
Default 2004 Vue driver window and door speaker not working

Hi All,

​​​​I'd like to start by thanking in advance for any ideas ya'll might have.

So a couple months back my driver side door speaker started working intermittently. I noticed that sometimes when I would open the door, it would start working again. Sometimes it would stay on once I closed the door and other times it would turn off again after closing the door. So I figured there was something being pinched near the door hinge.

Well, I put it off for too long and now the speaker won't come in at all, but also the power window doesn't work either. This still supported the idea of something awry in the wire bundle near the door hinge, but so far inspection of that bundle isn't revealing any damage so I'm pretty stumped. Now, I can't get a view of the entire bundle because there are areas I can't see but it seems odd that those two specific wires within the bundle would have become damaged? I've looked at the fuse boxes and though I haven't tested any, I don't see any that would suggest they could affect a single speaker and a single window.

I haven't taken out the radio yet because i don't think it would have anything to do with the window, and the fact that the speaker was affected by the door movement seems to indicate the issue being in that area rather than the radio.

Again, thanks for any suggestions

Old 09-19-2021, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, your thread got flagged in auto-moderation by the forum. I just set it free so peeps can see.

You're probably looking at very subtle internal damage to the wires that go through the door jamb wiring boot, the damage being within that area inside the boot from the repeated stress of open close cycles.
If you pop the window switch out, you'll know what color wires are in play for that. Same with the speaker.

(Check the following with the engine off and the key off.)

Then you need to find out where the wires run to after they go through the door jamb wiring boot -- OR -- backprobe the wires once they pass through the wiring boot on the non door side, and check for continuity with the other lead on the end of the wire at the switch speaker. Some jigging should help you locate the offenders.

You can then replace the section containing the break for those wires.

Since more than one wire seems to have internal damamge, you may wish to consider replacementof all sections which run through the door jamb thing. Kind of drastic. Up to you. They've all seen the same wear.

Be sure to use the same gauge wire as the original (at least as big diameter) to avoid overheated wires and fires.

Solder and shrink wrap -- no splices-- this needs to be a firm connection.. Stagger your solder joints to keep things tidy

Old 09-20-2021, 08:07 AM

Sounds to me like you're on the right track with where the wires go through the body of the car to the door. I know it's a pain in the neck to track each wire, but that is your most likely trouble spot. Pull that harness and check it thoroughly.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:50 AM

Door harness is common on the Vue