General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Help removing rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned
Default Help removing rock chips

Hi my name is Steven, I am new to this forum... I have a 1999 Saturn SL2 (GREY) with some rock chips on the hood and bumper, I've been doing a lot of reading in the forum but cant find anything about rock chip repair... I saw a TV commercial this past Sunday on Car Crazy on the Velocity Channel for a company called EZ Chip Repair... I went to their website and looked around... the product looks good, so I went to google and read their reviews and they have mostly good reviews. So my question is has anyone in this forum tried this product???? I would love their feedback before I buy it... Thanks

Last edited by RjION; 12-19-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 PM

Never heard of it. Let us know how it works for you.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 AM

Rock chips are rock chips, and I've never found a product that was worth a crap. So this item might make you happy, but I doubt I'd be happy with it. So would I spend my money on it? Not a chance in body work.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 AM

An opinion.
Formed by going to the website and looking at the demonstration.
You have to order the product based on the make and year of the car you have.
It works by filling the chip with a material and then "buffing" it out in a 2 step process that levels and removes excess material.
How good is it? Dunno, but I'd put money on the fact that few people are deft enough to actually get it to work right and if your car has been repainted there is no guarantee the product is actually the color of your car or if your car is aged, the same can be said on fading.
Or in the case of my Saturn, when I repainted it I found that the color it is, Black Gold, is a 1995 color, not the 1994 color, black gold is not a 1994 color but that is the color of the car. So it must be a very late 1994 car.
I suspect that it is a waste of "$30.00" so if there is one like that, how many more are their. Buying a paint the color of your car is not a problem, or let me say I have not had a problem with it as long as I had a correct factory paint code. But the "magic" of a computer color match rarely has matched anything.
Just saying.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 AM

If they want to send me a kit at no cost.......I'll try it and rate it. If it was so good I bet they would be rushing it to mods of auto websites so they would rave about the product.

Steven....your post was moved, and your link to the site was removed.

Last edited by RjION; 12-19-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 PM

so, I know this is an old thread, and the only one I saw on rock chips on here. anybody have anything they use besides repainting? I only expect a temporary fix, but the bumper on my RL is annoying the crap out of me, and I am not having it painted until I do some engine work to it.
thanks guys

Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 AM

bump,
was expecting Charlie to tell me to spray paint it because its not his car LMAO

Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 AM

Billie
Since the manufacturers have gone away from bumpers and replaced them with molded plastic nose cones which when removed exposes a piece of Styrofoam about 3 inches thick and a big ugly chunk of iron rendering the entire front and rear of the car pretty much useless for anything other than looking pretty, they are now prone to rock chips if you live were that type of road exists.
The product is little more than a can of thick paint, color keyed to your original paint color and requires you to "fill and paint" each chip and then buff the car out to level it It is no different then painting your car or at least painting the chips.
As I pretty much have come to the point where I do my own painting I just don't see an alternative to repainting the front of your car. Or at least an alternative that would work anyway.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 AM

Since it's not my car and is yours, Billy, I'll tell you to get a can of spray paint and go ahead and try it. It looks like crap already, so how much worse can you make it? LMAO

Old 07-26-2014, 01:26 PM

I may as well just have it painted later on then, and get a clear bra like Rj did.
Just wondering about a temp fix, not necessarily what the OP said, but in general.
Thanks guys, and Charlie, I KNEW IT!