Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Help Removing Inner Door Panel For SC2

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Default Help Removing Inner Door Panel For SC2

I need to take the inner door panel off on a 1996 Saturn Sc2. I have all 4 screws off (2 in door handle, 1 on rear view mirror, 1 behind door handle) I got the Lock panel trim off but the trim around the door handle. I can not figure how to get that off around the door handle. How do I remove that part thanks.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 AM

I don't have an answer, sorry but I do have a comment.
The last time I had to get into the door of my Sc2 I found what I needed to do was to remove the plastic outer skin which gave better access and was a whole lot easier the way the car was designed.
I am not sure I can find the answer you are looking either but if you get back and still need it I will try.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Try watching this video, it might get you to rethinking the removal of the inner door panel verses the outer skin.

http://youtu.be/whOOsv_EA8s

Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM

I always forget there is a lot of information available on Yutu.be, probably because i buy manuals for the cars I own. I had to put a new motor in the drivers door window on mine and the only way to get at it was to remove the outer door skin and it was about as hard to do as the video described. In fact easier if my memory is correct I did not have to remove the trim piece at the top. A 1994.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 AM

That's interesting. I wonder if that's how the door panel is removed on the 95 SC1? I'd like to replace the speakers in it.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 AM

That's interesting. I wonder if that's how the door panel is removed on the 95 SC1? I'd like to replace the speakers in it.
==============================
I sort of hate to be repetitive, but buying a Mitchels, Chiltons or other service manual for about $25.00 at O'Rielly's or Autozone or Pep Boys is still the cheapest investment in things I know of. It saves screwing up something expensive to find out what you need to do before you break things.
Of course if you break things first and then read it, you can get things back together with out breaking more.
I still don't know how to take off the inner door panel, but than again I have not had to. The outer skin comes off so easily and my front speakers still function. The ones in the back though were a whole other story.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 AM

I'll buy a Haynes manual when I get the money. I'm on disability income and it's very difficult to stretch it nowadays when a family of four has to live on $1,700 per month. The nepotism is so bad here that my 20 year old son can't even get a job at Walmart or McDonalds. They hire friends and family. It sucks.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
I'll buy a Haynes manual when I get the money. I'm on disability income and it's very difficult to stretch it nowadays when a family of four has to live on $1,700 per month. The nepotism is so bad here that my 20 year old son can't even get a job at Walmart or McDonalds. They hire friends and family. It sucks.
I feel the pain, been living on a disablity income for 11 years now and the 5 oclock news investigative reporters are reporting that the economy is getting better now that everyones benefits are running out the roles are getting smaller and those that are still employed are some times totally clueless that the empty house next door was not owned by deadbeats.
But you can still break expensive stuff faster than you can fix it by not having any kind of servicing information handy.
A related problem that I see here lately is old school rules of thumb for determining whether something needs replaceing or not are gone since quality and reliability has been engineered in and complexity has gone through the roof. Many DIY repairs are made not because they are effective, but because the part is easier to replace than the ones needed and a knowledgable source is used as a recomendation rather than basic knowledge on how parts work and why.
And a related excersize of use this material part or chemistry it will save you money except your car will wear out faster, but don't worry about it, we can sell you a new one.
And yes, good used hard to find parts are more cost effective than almost impossible to find new parts that cost a ton and take for ever to get here shipped from some obscure country.
I am not sure when I am going to depart company with my Saturn. It was a car I liked when it came into my possesion and I have not found a reason to dislke it. Certainly not one to spend money on a replacement. But age and the heat have beat the hell out of the cosmetics and the common sales ploy of "what can I do to sell you a car today" has not come up with showing one that was not a pretend butt ugly truck that I actually wanted to spend my money on.