General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Need Help Removing engine 2.2l DOHC Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Default Need Help Removing engine 2.2l DOHC Automatic

ok I got a 2000 Saturn wagon automatic, 2.2l DOHC

Ive got the engine stripped down. The 3 flex plate bolts out, and the 6 transmission bolts.

I put the lift boom on it, and support the trans with a jack and the freaking motor wont break away from the bell housing. Ive tried rasing, lowering, wedging, nothing helps.

Could it just be froze on the guide pins? Can I heat them up will that help?

I can feel behind the flex plate and the torque converter is slid back about 3/4" is that far enough?

read that on automatics the engine can be separated, and removed thru the top.

I cant see why this engine wont break free.

Can someone please confirm there is only 6 bolts on bell housing? that's all I see.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM

How many engine mounts do you have unfastened?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM

only one. passengerside. I don't believe there is another on the engine. there is another mount right underneath the fans but that mount supports the bell housing of the trans

Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM

You need to do some homework. I've never pulled an engine with only one motor mount. Have any of you other guys?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 AM

This is an interesting question. In that I find that my Service Data which is rather extensive on it's own does not show the existence of a 2000 Saturn 2.2L powered Wagon.
Now it is possible that the reason the engine does not do what it is supposed to do is that it is a figment of some ones imagination.
Or my service data is just flat deficient in it's content. Actually that is what I suspect. but there is a point here.
I actually had something to look this up with and I don't own a 2.2L 2000 Saturn. However I own a Saturn, 6 other cars and I have service data for every one of them plus service data for cars going as far back as 1936 and if you had asked how to remove an engine from a Graham or a Cord or even possibly a Dusenberg or Hupmobil I could have answered that. And I guess if I go down stairs and out into a my garage I probably would find a Chiltons manual for general purpose maintenance of cars made in the year 2000 and looked it up
So for the purpose of sound repetitious I would suggest going to your local O'Riellys or Autozone or Pep boys and ordering something for about $25.00 ish. Something that everyone should have if they are planning to lay a wrench on what they own. But then again that is far too obvious of an answer.
So the only thing I can do here is agree with Ruby. Having no idea how many engine mounts the thing actually may have my first guess if if you have removed 1 and there is the one that also supports the transaxle I would look for possibly 2 more somewhere.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM

thanks for the replies.... update

I answered one of my own questions. There is at least 7 bolts in the bell housing, not 6. I found a hidden one

I made some progress I guess. at least got the engine free, about a half an inch at the top. But its still stuck at the bottom. Im going to jack the car up and look for one more mount, bolt, or something that is hanging up this engine.

Now the down side - I broke an ear off the bell housing with a pry bar, greeeaat lol JB Weld I hope saves me

Ya I can go buy a chiltons, Haynes, alldata, but I was hoping to run into someone on here that has actually pulled an ecotec 2.2 that might point out some angles that ive missed.(like the motor mounts)

Last edited by fordman; 12-30-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Well looking at the broken ear form another direction you have just destroyed a cast bell housing by not having a clue what to look for and using brute force rather than figuring out what was wrong.
And that is going to cost you a whole bunch more than the cost of a manual that actually told you what to look for.
Sorry it happened. It ain't much fun when you do that. But it is now done and represents the reason why many of us say;
The absolute first thing to do is to buy a $25.00 manual. It keeps you from doing things like that and is cheap insurance.
And J.B weld is going to be a waste of time.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM

well its out yay!!!

transaxel mount hidden ... but I found it. - thanks unclejohn for the tip. Wish I read it before I broke the bell housing.

Think Im going to make a new thread describing everything I did so if someone else needs to pull an ecotec the info is on this forum. I found very little info on the net in general, so If I make a separate thread maybe google will index it, and people will easily find it.

thanks