General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Groaning noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Default Groaning noise from front end

I have a 2000 LS1 with about 120,000 miles. When I turn the steering wheel there's a groaning noise. Doesn't matter if I'm moving or not, there's a distinct creaky/groan. My first thought was it's well past time to replace the power steering fluid, so I did that. However, that didn't solve the problem.

So I went to the authorized Saturn place (which is the local Cadillac dealer now) and asked them to look at it. The guy says (I may get this a bit wrong) it's the front end sway bar link stabilizers. He also said he tried to look up the part in their system and it's marked as "discontinued" so he's going to have to call around to some places to see if he can find one.

When I asked for a rough price, he said he'd gotten some for an Ion not too long ago and it was like $100 per kit and you need one kit for each side. Plus labor to install...

Does this seem about right? Do bad sway bar links cause a groaning noise when you turn the wheel?

Is there a reputable place online where I could buy the parts myself?

Thanks,

K

Old 07-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Personal opinion here, but the price does seem a bit high -- I'd have expected about $65

Old 07-03-2010, 05:21 PM

Well! I don't know what they look like, but a lot of sway bar links on cars I have owned could be unbolted. I'd have to look to see if these could be. I think my S series saturn the sway bar is also part and parcel of the lower control arm, which is wierd but also memory could be false.
Bottom line is, if they can be unbolted, thus not there and if it still groans, it ain't $200 in parts + labor at a Cadilac dealer to fix it.
On the other hand, the last groaning power steering I had was on an older car and it was the power steering sector it'self making the noise. That does not mean it is the same thing on your car, just to point out that I think you might need a second opinion. Also your Saturn probably has rack and pinion, my example was ball and sector. It was however a new rebuilt unit as the old one was junk.
Two different animals. But a bottle of Lucas Power steering additive solved it for about $10.00
As far as parts go, it is now time to start asking parts stores such as NAPA and CARQUEST to see what they have in stock. It is amazing what is carried these days.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'll the steering additive, it certainly can't hurt.