General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Inconsistently Squeaky and hitchy 95SC2 clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Question Inconsistently Squeaky and hitchy 95SC2 clutch pedal

95 SC2, 217K

Clutch pedal travel is intermittently kinda like there is something rubbing and preventing it from moving freely.

By the time I get home from work, I can hear a squeaking in both directions when the pedal travel is doing the rubbing thing.

The clutch operation is fine.

The crappy pix I have access to seem to indicate there is likely a bearing around which the top of the spring loaded clutch pedal assembly rotates, and a metal rod which acts as a piston for the clutch master cyl.

Does the above sound like a clutch pedal bearing issue which is then contributing to a misalignment of the rod going to the clutch master cyl (and hence rubbing on the firewall grommet or similar) ?

The intermittency has me puzzled. If it was constant I'd think lubrication issue....

Waddya think? I prefer to be stranded in my garage doing a repair versus somewhere else being pissed off.

No, I have not yet checked clutch fluid level; lazy plus no sign of leaks

Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM

From Service Documents
Measure clutch pedal travel. If pedal travel is not 5.3 – 6.2 inch check for carpet or floormat interference under pedal. If pedal is clear check for faulty pedal pivot bushing and bent pedal. If pedal pivot bushing and pedal are o.k. go to release fork travel.

I do not have nor have I worked on a standard shift Saturn Clutch pedal mechanism, but with the mileage and the year there is probably a lot of wear going on. Saturn’s claim to fame was the use of plastic. My experience says that they should not have bragged about it that much.
Them or frankly anyone else.
Sounds like you have a problem with the pivot mechanism somehow.
I am not a fan of polyurethane bits and pieces as substitute parts for suspension components but when they are no longer available then the stuff is machinable and you can make almost anything out it. If you use some synthetic grease to re-assemble things if needed it seems to work fine for a long time. Just in case you can not find what you want if a part is needed.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

thank you Unc,,,,,I now have something to go on...

Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned

Oh, for the olde days of steel shafts and brass bushings ...............

Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

bushing at top of pedal seems quite intact.
Squeaking seems to be coming from once lubed rod that goes through a bellows like grommet in the firewall. It seems as though the bellows thing was probably packed with a light ambery grease.

Any recommendations as to what I should load it back up with to see if the noise goes away?

Old 06-05-2010, 05:32 PM

In the past I have had good luck with what is generally called white grease. Which I think is also lithium grease. But lately I have been finding that synthetic wheel bearing or chassis grease and I think I have a tube (comes in a tube for a grease gun) of Mobil on the shelf. It seems to stay on location better and does not dry out or cause damage to rubber or synthetic seals. White Grease eventually dries out, at least in my experiance. I find it is also good for greasing window tracks when things get old and dry and windows have a tuff time going up and down.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

picked up some spray white lithium grease.

what a nasty location to get at without a lift...... (prob nasty with a lift)

anyway, sprayed the clutch pedal rod where it goes through the bellows grommet and worked it 25 times or so; no real improvement.

gently pried bellows grommet open with a narrow blade screwdriver (no not recommended) and sprayed as much grease in there as I could direct using the tube thing attached to the top of the can pointing in a direction I could neither see nor verify as my view of the target was of course blocked by...you guessed it...the can.

Shame on me -- i forgot my huge mirror

Success was gauged by how much grease did not end up on everything else in the area (and the amount that did end up on the grommet)

Worked clutch pedal 25 times (after removing screwdriver)
No real improvement

Sprayed clutch pedal pivot bushing
Worked clutch pedal 25 times

No real improvement

___

Drove to work 2 days later -- clutch pedal pretty silent and smooth smooth smooth
_____
SOO in conclusion I'm not sure if it was the added grease in the bellows grommet sinking to the bottom where the rod is riding or if it was the pivot bearing getting some grease.......but it's all better now.

Thank you again Unc

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 PM

ur, welcome! Some where, some place there is a product designer going;
Dang! I didn't know those things would actually last this long!

Last edited by uncljohn; 06-11-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

noise back

grrrrrrrr

Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 PM

Don't those spray cans of white grease have a straw on them like the WD-40 cans? It's been awhile since i bought one. Also, or maybe instead, a hand grease gun with a rubber nozzle on it might help in getting up in there to re-pack the rubber boot.

Quick Reply: Inconsistently Squeaky and hitchy 95SC2 clutch pedal