Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Violent vibrations and groaning - repair advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Default Violent vibrations and groaning - repair advice?

I have a 2000 v6 LS2 Saturn and I'm look for some repair advice. I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea of what might be causing of my cars symptoms and about how much it should cost to fix.

I can feel violent vibrations through the steering wheel when traveling at high speeds (around 70mph). The higher the speed the more likely it is to occur, but its sporadic and doesn't always happen. After taking it to the mechanic several times I ended up with a replaced wheel weight, new front tires, an alignment, and a replaced rear suspension. The mechanic assured me he checked everything over and it was safe to drive, but after getting it back the shaking still happens on occassion. While trying to build up the courage and funds to take it back in for more "problem solving" to identify the cause, a new noise have developed. I now hear a deep groaning noise when turn to pull out of a parking spaces and occasionally when I turn a corner at a slow speed.

Before I take it back to the mechanic again, I'd like to have a better idea of what the problem might be and if the two symptoms are related. Based on my brief internet research, I'm worried it might need a steering rack replacement...???

Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Banned

Well, you might just be right with the groaning coming from the steering rack area, but I'm more concerned with your "occasional" violent vibrations. I'm addressing only that portion of your posting:

I had a much similar issue with my 2002 L-series just recently, and finally traced it down to badly worn inner CVCC joints. Most of the time, the shafts would line up properly, and the driving was smooth, but occasionally the play in the bearings was enough to allow the shaft to mis-align and cause an out of balance condition.

I had both shafts pulled and rebuilt to OEM specs. I chose this direction because some of the after-market shafts are a bit short, and don't match up properly. I had the work done at a "Saturn-friendly" dealership in Mobile, AL. Total cost was $455 plus tax, and took them a day and a half.

My '02 is back on the road, and no vibrations, even when in excess of posted speed limit

Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM

So stacy1182 you had time to make a post but no time to reply to those that are trying to help you ?

color stacy1182 gone