Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Weird sound coming from front end. Maybe pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Default Weird sound coming from front end. Maybe pulley?

My car is a 1998 Saturn SL2 DOHC with about 124K miles.

This noise originally began nearly a year ago some time in July. I stopped driving my car in October of last year because I lost my job. Now that I can drive again, I'd like to diagnose the sound.

When it first began, it only happened when I made a turn. Eventually, it got worse and started on take off from a red light or stop sign. Now, it happens when I idle and when I accelerate. It also changes pitch with speed.

I originally thought it was coming from the front driver side, but now it seems like its actually coming from the front passenger side, near all the belts and stuff.

I had start up issues when I stopped driving, and recently bought a new battery. The start up issue is gone, and my old battery was due to be changed. So I'm thinking that rules out the alternator, unless it's a bearing? I'm also thinking it may be transmission based, or my belt tensioner, idler pulley, or some sort of pump? I checked my power steering fluid and filled it up.

I don't want to fix it myself, I'm not car handy. I just want an idea of what is wrong with my car before I take it in, and what I can expect to pay so I don't get swindled.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Here is a video of the sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKNMIjTG4iQ

Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM

I can't really tell what the hell it is, but I'd start by removing all of the drive belts and spinning each pulley individually. It really sounds to me like it's either the A/C pulley or alternator, but I'm not a mechanic. As far as the transmission sound goes, I'd do a fluid and filter change on it and see if that eliminates it. I'd use some Lucas transmission treatment in place of a pint of tranny fluid too.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

I'm with RubeHayseed --

Alternator is the primary suspect. but the A/C pulley is also a possible. Outside possibility is the tensioner pulley