General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Weird sound, engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Default Weird sound, engine won't start

Hey everyone, new member here, first time posting. We have an '01 SW2 that has been really frustrating us recently. The newest problem is a strange sound when I go to start the engine. It won't turn over and makes a grinding/grating sound while trying to start. The sound is similar to the noise that happens when you accidentally turn the key when the engine is already running. There was nothing that led up to this happening except that I recently did an oil change. The level was normal and I haven't noticed any leaks. HELP ME!

(other problems in the last year are water pump, which was a pain in the you know what, overheating, cracked radiator, faulty wiring to tail lights, electric locks freaking out on us, the list goes on...)

Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Banned

From the sounds you describe, I'd suspect the starter has gone bad, however there is the possibility of the positive battery cable being eaten internally by battery acid, causing a bad connection and insufficient power to spin the starter at full speed. A bad battery cable could account for some of the other electrical problems you mention, so I personally would start by replacing the positive battery cable, and going from there .....

Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 AM

I was afraid of that. I guess I'll start by yanking the old one out and taking a look at the teeth. I am getting so tired of working on this car. It has been one thing after another for the last year. It'll drive fine for a month or two and then I have to tear into it again. Gotta hold out til next year when we can use some tax return money to get something else...

Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 AM

Like a wife, it's going to be cheaper to keep her.