General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Jason, I checked Rock Auto and it appears that they have a Master Rebuild Kit for your car. I've had good luck with them. Hope that helps.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Jaywizzy
Thank you guys for the input. I will definately look into all you have told me. That's why I signed up to the forum, to get advice from experience. I'm a tech soon to be training at a GM dealership. I can't get a rebuild kit for my engine, I have to order everything seperate, so now I know the route to take. Sadly not too much is available due to being discontinued, but hopefully I can get all I need for the build.
You will find that parts and modifications are going to be hard to locate for the reason you stated but engine rebuild kits ARE available. As stated RockAuto is as good a source as it gets, but there are others too.
I also quick searched the internet and found these.
http://www.cleggengine.com/engine-re...0&engine=68714
And while I have no recommendation for the source other than they exist, it certainly is one of many that are out there to be found.
Good luck and keep in touch.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:14 PM

I'm looking at rebild kits on ebay too right now, cant order yet the engine is still in the car and I need to determine piston and bearing sizes. not much happening on this thread, I've seen lots of rebuild kits on ebay and amazon, any recommendations or warnings?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Engine parts specs should be out there by now for a 14 yr old 3rd gen coupe. Seek and you shall find.

Stay away from the ones that are dirt cheap -- you generally get what you pay for.

Old 12-07-2023, 03:15 PM
Default oil drain holes

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Just take the head to a reputable machine shop and have it magnafluxed. They can tell you if it's warped and needs machining or if it needs to be replaced. As far as the pistons go, I don't have a clue as to what you're talking about with pre-drilled oil drains. What is that?
Proper rebuild kits came with extra holes drilled into the pistons to help with the oil burn that usually comes with these cars. you can drill them in but id prefer to just buy them straight up. As far as the machine shop goes most are gonna say you need it machined for the buck. but at that point the heads preassembled come out to either 200 or 300 on ebay if correct. I am currently rebuild a 98 dohc motor but im thinking deans build for it just gotta find a list

Old 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

No offense, but why rebuild the engine on a 25-year-old car? We all have our motivation for doing things. Just wondering what yours is

Old 12-08-2023, 08:32 AM

I'm just wondering why in the hell someone revived a 9 year old thread.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

The newest rig in my yard is my 06 Navigator. It has 230+k miles on it. One of my grandsons and I are starting to revive a 68 3/4t 4x4 Chevy pickup that has been it the family since it was new. Vehicles survive out West quite well with no salt on the roads and mild Winters. My 84 Gmc crew cab is my forever truck and we hauled 14500 lbs of 3/4- on the trailer in three trips yesterday. If and when any of my vehicles need repairs no matter what they need, they will get repaired not replaced.
It is not a money thing, I really don’t care for the throw away new cars. Too many computers and constant problems. The new trucks at work have 25+ computers and they don’t play well together.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:26 AM

I hear ya, Andy. I sure as hell wish I had a shop so I could find an older Dodge van with a 318 or 360 in it to restore. A mid 70's to early 80's would be okay with me if I had the money. One of the best vehicles I ever owned was an 82 Ram 150 cargo van. 318 automatic with a/c, p/s and p/b. I installed my own Craig stereo and insulated and paneled the walls myself. That sucker was still going 5 years after I traded it and I had almost 200,000 miles on it and only ever did regular maintenance on it.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

So I ask again, politely, what is your motivation for rebuilding this sohc?

Do you plan to keep it stock or try to modify it?

These questions are coming from the owner of a 95 SC2 with 239 on the clock 80k on factory rebuilt engine. Registered as an antique car in PA, I can pretty much do whatever the hell I want with it now. Almost done with all of the mechanicals, a few interiors and it's just like new. Except for that new car smell. Since it has no cabin filter it pretty much smells like diesel exhaust, but hey, we all have to accept things the way they were and the way they are. But not necessarily the way they will be. That part is up to us. I have no ****ing idea why I'm preaching at the end of this. Kind of cheapens the message. For that I apologize. For everything else in life, if you colloquial don't like the way I've approached something, done something, or said something, then you colloquial can go **** yourself. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Please remember to answer my question at the top. Thanks