Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

'97 SW2 engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Default '97 SW2 engine rebuild

Hi, my name is Kris. I am new to the whole forum thing so please bare with me. I have a '97 Saturn SW2 which has the 1.9 I4 DOHC. It is burning oil profusely, and I know that the piston rings are a big problem with that engine. I am mechanically savvy, and know a great deal about cars in general, but have never rebuilt a motor before I was hoping for some insight on this whole project. Anyone out there willing to help?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

moved your post to the S car section

PM Octavious -- maybe he can help you out

Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Define "willing to help".

I'd first make sure it is burning oil and not loosing it thru a leak. Then I'd make sure the PVC system is working properly. after that, I'd try to unstick the rings unless this is a very high mileage vehicle.

Do you have access to an engine puller (cherry picker) and an engine stand? do you want to try doing this with the engine still in the car? It is possible but it is very difficult.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Hi Kris, Im Chris hahaha. I was in the same position as you, Know quite abit and am good with a wrench but I really havent buillt a motor before mine either, However I had a friend who has done numerous motors helping me - but its pretty straight forward. The hardest part will probably be redoing the head, but I had a shop take care of mine cause I didnt want the headache.

How many qts do you go through before an oil change? Normally id go through 2-2.5 qts every 2000 miles, engine only had 119k on it at the time.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Depending on how I drive I burn 3.5 to 6 quarts a every oil change. Also how do i move the thread to what derf recommended. Also to Kieth, I have everything nessecary to get the job done. Had to pull the engine and trans Oct. 2011 because the trans failed. I know my pvc system is working and I know that I want to just rebuild it. I plan on getting a spare engine so i can take my time with it. This "is" my daily driver and I cant afford to not have my car.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

i moved your post to the s car section -- we have no sw section so here is fine. I belive it was in the L section so I moved it here....all's fine with that

Old 02-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Do you have any manuals for this vehicle? I have a Haynes that covers 91-02 and most of the volumes of the factory service manual (FSM) for 2000-02. I don't do transmissions so I don't have those two volumes.

I would suggest that you get the Haynes, I have actually found it more useful than the FSM except for code troubleshooting and wiring diagrams. I can help you with specifications, but if you have a manual, you will save a lot of time and it will answer most of your questions.

It is not required, but I would replace all the head bolts if you can find the factory replacement bolts through a GM dealer. Don't get them at a hardware store. It appears that they are torque to yield type bolts, but I'm not sure.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Wow, thats alot of oil!. I was able to get arp head studs for under $150 for mine. The haynes manual does fine, but I do have the transmission FSM (actually I have all the FSM for 98-99), and since you've already have taken the motor out you know how to do that part. Getting a spare motor is an excellent idea, I did have a spare 98' motor that I was going to rebuild into mine, but my brother got tired of seeing it and scrapped it one day

I have alot of pictures from my rebuild here If you want to look over them, might give you an Idea of what your looking at. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393285...turn-s-series/

Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM

I have a manual Chiltons I think, but its all the same. I have access to professional alldata, and yes i know that's a "LOT" of oil which is why I am trying to fix it. My plan of attack is get a used motor rebuild it make it for every day driving. Take the one that is in it already and make it my toy motor, I have seen many people make these motors very powerful and that is something I would like to do. Now I know all the parts to an engine and I'm a mechanic by trade but I have never been ***** deep in a motor. Most I can do is change parts.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 AM

I did a slight performance build on mine, oversized pistons and slight compression bump, not a huge difference but I get my fair share of fun out of it. you can turbo these motors (go to differentracing.com) but apperently they lose all reliability when its done - and it needs forged internals which is $$$$.

I believe I have some extra parts laying around from mine, like an extra intake manifold and brackets and whatnot if you need any

Quick Reply: '97 SW2 engine rebuild