Weird Vue issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Default Weird Vue issue

2005 Vue w Honda engine. 35,000 miles. We’ve been having tons of issues with this car. Brakes, starter, alternator. The door locks and horn don’t work. The drl’s flash oddly when you put the car in park. Now we’ve gotten a new problem

Once in a while the car will start and 1-2 seconds later shut off by itself. When it does this you can restart it over and over with the same result. If you leave it sit for 15-30 minutes and try again it will start normally. While it’s having the problem there is an idiot light that shows a door with a lock symbol over it. My son looked it up and said it’s something to do with a burglar system. My repair shop says the car has no burglar alarm. They couldn’t get the car to reproduce the issue(of course) and as soon as we got home it did it the next morn. We’ve noticed the problem is worse when raining or high humidity. Anyone had this issue? It’s frustrating.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

It's called the passlock system and is on all GM vehicles of that era.

As far as semantics go, it is a theft deterrent system, so technically no it is not a burglar alarm. You can have it out with a mechanic but there's no point.

This passlock system is controlled by the body control module. It is actually integrated into the module and cannot be removed or replaced separately. It can be reset however.

I will come back and paste the link in to the procedure.
---------------------------
Here's the link.

Passlock II System Relearn procedure

Ignore all the technical mumbo jumbo and follow the steps described in terms of cranking and leaving the key in the positions mentioned for the time mentioned.

I strongly suggest you hook up jumper cables to a running vehicle before starting as 30 minutes with the key sitting in the run position will drain most batteries.
---------------
All the other items you mentioned that do not function or do not function properly or controlled by the body control module. Are you the original owner? 35,000 miles does not sound correct for a 2007 vehicle. Odometer corruption is also common with failing body control module.

There is a timeout period after which the passlock system will reset itself which sounds exactly like what is happening. Hence the term theft deterrent.

Try the relearn procedure above. Follow it religiously step by step or it simply will not work.
As for the rest of the malfunctioning equipment, I suspect that your body control module is likely going bad.
You may need to do it several times for it to stick.

Last edited by derf; 06-06-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:46 AM

We bought the car specifically cause of the low mileage. I do find it odd that it needed new brakes at 35,000 miles though

do you think it’s $800 for a dealer to replace or is it $800 just for the part?

when the part is replace will the mileage counter go to its correct mileage. We paid $5000 cause of The low mileage

Old 06-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

A dealer will require absolute proof of the mileage on the vehicle. Depending on where you live, I believe this should be on the title that was transferred to you.

To my knowledge, only a dealer can program the odometer setting and only on a virgin BCM module. They don't want to have any implied connection to odometer fraud and are very strict about this. Whatever you do do not take the BCM out of the vehicle before they have seen the reading on the dash and the title if you choose to fix this.

The $800 is an estimate for parts and labor.
Mini dealers will give you a price of $2,000 which is their way of saying I don't want anything to do with this so don't be upset if you get quotes all over the map.

A vehicle that old with that low mileage, if it is truly as it appears, did a whole lot of sitting still.
I am immediately suspicious. If this is true, the tires should be likely the factory tires and about half worn down. There should not be a lot of road rash on the hood and the subframe should not be terribly rested unless sat in a lake.

If that mileage is true, I suppose it could have been a test drive car at a dealership that never got sold. But 14 years? It sounds like it would have been driven home from the dealership and parked. Who does that with a new vehicle?

I have all sorts of conspiracy theories because I am a worst case thinker. But you should be able to tell if there are more than 35K on it from the wear and tear of the components on the vehicle.

When a vehicle sits, if it did for long periods of time, the brake rotors will rust just from exposure to the weather. Generally from non-use. So this could be legitimate at 35k.

My biggest conspiracy theory involves the possibility that someone already replaced the BCM and paid whoever did it to program that mileage.

Probably the easiest way to check if this is even a possibility is to access the BCM module itself and look at the manufacturing date on it. If it was manufactured after 2006 or 2007, all bets are off as to the mileage necessarily being correct.

Did the previous owner give you a sob story about how the vehicle ended up with such low miles?

​​​​​​Personally, I would hold off on doing a replacement BCM until you look at the one that is in there and see if it is the original or if it has been previously replaced based on the date code.

Also, have you tried the passlock reset?

If you cannot reset it, this will be likely a problem that never goes away without a PCM reflash programming or replacement of the BCM.

So let's not get ahead of ourselves. If you can relearn the security system then there is hope for addressing the rest of the goofy issues.

Please try to reset it and post your results.

Just because some guy on a forum has a hunch about what your problem is does not mean you should run out and spend money. I try to be very careful to State what the problem is as far as I can tell. The last thing I want is for people to go out and spend $800 on something that I got wrong.

Money just not grow on trees and I don't want to spend yours. Also remember this is a 14-year-old vehicle. Did you purchase this from a dealership or was it a private sale and if I dealership was it a GM dealership?