VSS PROBLEMS 2005 VUE

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Default Engine Pic

Pardon, me for being absent. Work is sucking away all of my time. Driven this thing only once since last post.

Here is the engine pic.

I have located an electric speedometer pulse generator ring from PacificCustoms.com. Now I have to figure out where the PO has hidden the connection. Hopefully it is taped up somewhere and not cut.

Attached Thumbnails VSS PROBLEMS 2005 VUE-img_1913.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

From the stampings on the throttle body and the aluminum valve cover, it seems to predate 1995, as the 95 DOHC had the twin cam stamping on the cover. I have a 95 SC2 w the DOHC motor.

It is however possible that someone who knows the aluminum valve covers seal better threw one on a later model engine and got an older throttle body to match.

11,000 mi on a pre-95 DOHC? Definitely a rebuild. The wiring looks like crap b c it is original from the early 90's..

EGR is prob gone but.it would have been a vacuum controlled, not solenoid controlled
EGR before 95.

MAP sensor position is consistent w pre 95.
-----
VSS location
See

for a video that shows you where the VSS is located on the S series DOHC.

Even if the leads are cut you can just buy a new sensor (pigtail you can find in a junkyard) and we'll try to help you figure out the correct terminals on the PCM to attach it to. Actually I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of removing the sensor or removing ALL of the wire to the PCM. I can pro look up wire colors if you need me to.

Anyone who knows Saturn wouldn't try to rebuild a 91 (freak show), so I'd say you can narrow it down to 92-94 DOHC.

What are you using for a tranny?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

And what the hell is that thing in the earlier post attached to? It looks like a Hall Effect non contact sensor that senses changes in magnetic field strength. Must be monitoring rotation of something generating a changing magnetic field as it rotates. Alternator won't stop popping into my head but that would lead to oscillations at RPM speed, not vehicle speed. Seems like you'd want it on the trans output shaft

Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

I assumed he meant an Ecotec. But you know what that means!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 AM

I left you guys hanging without enough info in the introduction. This engine is in a rail dune buggy. The engine is married to a 6-rib VW Van 4-speed transmission. The speed sensor in the previous pictures (from a different forum, and not my buggy) is mounted to the transmission and is picking up the speed ring attached to the CV joint nearest the transmission. My challenge is now to figure out where they may have buried or cut the wires that would have went to the speed sensor.

Based on the 92-94 engine year estimate is this thing OBDII? Google says no? If not what do I need to read the codes? My hope, this weekend, is to open up the metal box the PO used to house what I think will be all of the ECU components. Next step is to hook up diagnostics to ensure the speed sensor is the issue...

Old 06-08-2017, 11:33 AM

BTW: No ECOTEC involved here...

Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Default speed ring pic

From the pacific customs page...
I need to rig something up like this, I think...

Old 06-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Default speed ring pic

Here it is...

Attached Thumbnails VSS PROBLEMS 2005 VUE-speed-ring.jpg  
Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

You have an OBD 1 most likely, maybe they left the scanner port. Good luck, as I have no information on early S cars.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well since it is not a Saturn tranny, the saturn VSS is not there,

The other options are finding an old OBDI SCANNER not code reader to be able to both read codes AND collect or at least display real time data.

Or take it to a chevy dealership and ask for a helping hand with a diagnostic using a GM scan tool (Tech II)

I'm sure the PCM is thoroughly confused. But OBDI is generally tolerant of mass PCM confusion with S series Saturns until it starts affecting air/fuel mix.

----------
To pull OBD I codes on a saturn s series:
Key OFF
Top right of diag connector, jumper top right pin to the pin immediately to the left of it.
Turn Key to ON
Code 12 flashes 3 times. Flash....long pause.....two flashes
All codes are two digit numbers displayed as above.
If there are tranny codes (which there might be), code 11 will flash at the end, followed by all of the tranny codes, then by code 12 to signal the end of code diag.

I have the PCM connector pinouts and supposed wire colors....see next post

Quick Reply: VSS PROBLEMS 2005 VUE