Rear wiper not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Default Rear wiper not working

New guy here, taking a look at mother-in-laws 2008 Vue. Rear wiper apparently stopped working some time ago. Fuse is good. When I remove the fuse, then reinsert it, the blade swipes twice. Even with no key in the ignition, when I reinsert the fuse the blade makes two swipes. With key on and rear wiper button on, nothing. But if I pull the fuse and reinsert it, two swipes. Depressing the rear wiper wash button does nothing too.

Since it does swipe twice I am guessing the motor is fine, and I know the fuse is fine. So, am I looking at two faulty switches on the dash? Seems odd that they both would fail.

Thank you for any help and/or guidance you can provide me!

Old 10-13-2023, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Are all wiper functions for the vehicle located on a single stalk? Meaning does the stalk that controls the front wipers also have both the on off switch for the rear wipers and the rear wiper wash button on it?

Also, do all of the functions for the front wipers work properly?
​​​​​​

Old 10-13-2023, 03:44 PM

Only the front wipers are on the stalk. The rear wipers are two flat buttons on the center console, below the radio and above the climate controls, left of the hazard lights button.. All front wiper functions work properly.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Troubleshoot with both the hatch open and the hatch closed. Do things behave the same?

Further research indicates that the control module for the washer for the rear and the operation for the actual wiper for the rear are both located in the rear wiper motor.

Electrical troubleshooting is located here.

https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267861

And here.

https://www.justanswer.com/saturn/8d...asher-not.html

Best I can do. Never seen or touched one.
Based on the identical description of problems, you can use the electrical troubleshooting to confirm the motor is bad. Just because it is alive does not mean the control circuits are not defective. Conceptually no different when your front wipers go crazy on their own.

Old 10-13-2023, 05:00 PM

I just Goggle'd "2008 vue rear wiper button" and see that both rear wiper witches, the traction control switch, the hazard flasher switch, and the passenger airbag indicator light, are all part of one unit. I suppose that unit could go bad and take out both rear wiper switches. I will follow your links above and also see if I can get that unit out and test those switches.

Thank you for your help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17590454873...0aAiV9EALw_wcB

Old 10-13-2023, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't see that one.

I will say that all of the similar posts I found eventually concluded bad motor (control board.

The electrical testing should sort it out.

Please be sure to come back and post the resolution so that others may benefit

Thx

Old 10-16-2023, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Any progress?