Weird wiper issue on a 2K8 Vue

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 12:45 PM
Angry Weird wiper issue on a 2K8 Vue

I'm having what at least seems like a pretty common wiper issue; it works on high and low, but have no intermittent (just stays on Low), and wherever the blades are on the windshield when I shut them off is where they'll stay. So to make sure they're out of the way when off I have to wait for them to go to their usual park position.

I have:
  • Tested both the wiper speed relay and the wiper control relay with a multimeter for both the click sound, and low ohms, both seem fine. I even bought a brand new wiper control relay and popped it in anyway just for shts n' grins.
  • I also bought a new wiper motor off of ebay and replaced the old one (cracked my damn windshield in the process). That seemed to fix it; intermittent worked again, and speeds all worked properly .... for like a week. I may have only actually used them in rain like once after installing it, and then the wipers went right back to the same broken behavior as before.
My only other thought now during this cat n mouse game is the wiper switch? But I have been reading some symptoms of a bad wiper switch and not sure they match up with my issue.

Anyone have any ideas what's doin here?

Old 05-27-2023, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, apologies for not responding. We try to ensure at least one response to every question posted on this forum.

I owned that vehicle at one time, but we never had any issues with the wipers. Sounds to me like a controller board issue or possibly wherever those relays plug in. The relays themselves may be okay but there may be intermittent contact in the sockets or something akin to melted wiring or otherwise damaged wiring on the back side of the socket.

For it to fail in exactly the same way, I would also go hunting for an intermittent ground. This again may be in the vicinity of where the relays plug in.

Also, I would be very surprised if the BCM was not somehow involved. You'll need a schematic to figure out how. In general a schematic would probably give you your answer as to what's wrong.