P0496 during inspection

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 05:39 PM
Default P0496 during inspection

Hello. I am new here. my back up car 2007 Vue. I used for night school. also P0378. cant seem to fix it to pass inspection. Car runs okay and runs normal. All responses welcomed and appreciated.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Apologies.
I thought I answered this post earlier in the week.

P0496 EVAP Flow During a Non-Purge Condition
When trouble code P0496 is set, it means that there is an issue with the purge flow in the EVAP system. Specifically, the Evaporative system is purging fuel vapors when it shouldn’t be.
The most common culprit is usually the evap purge valve itself, not the solenoid that controls it. Can also be a leak in the EVAP system lines, charcoal canister leak (pressure), or poor electrical connections at the valve.
P0378 is Timing Reference High Resolution Signal B Intermittent/Erratic Pulses

The powertrain control module (PCM) requires a timing reference signal to determine engine speed and position. This is accomplished by means of an engine position sensor, such as a crankshaft, camshaft or fuel pump position sensor.

A code P0378 is set when the PCM detects the engine position sensor "B" is producing a signal with intermittent/erratic pulses.

I've read many p0378 Saturn Vue posts about this code. They have done a whole bunch of different things. Only two people claim to have fixed it because the other people that had the code never came back and posted what the resolution was.

The code definition seems pretty straightforward. Whether it can be triggered by other things I'm not sure. People claim changing the ignition control module will solve this issue. Based on the fact that the car does not run badly, I'm not thinking so but then again another one who replaced it in my Vue along with two other things at the exact same time and have the light not come back.

Personally I would start with the crank position sensor ckp. I don't know which engine you have so I can't help you with position. I also don't know if the vehicle has a cam position sensor. I know nothing about how to tell which one it might be because I don't know that engine very well. I've never touched a second generation Vue.

Anyway, that's my input.

Again, sorry for the long delay