P0172

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 09:45 AM

Pulled the voltage regulator and the brushes are worn pretty bad. So I replaced that first.
now I get fast clicking when trying to start.
Just in case, I put the old voltage regulator back in as a test, and same clicking.
New VR in. Double checking all connections.
Will check fuses and do a starter test. Starter is only about a year or so old, but probably reman. Can't remember.
Any other insight is appreciated.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

please read the post below this one first then come back and read this one.

Ifyou both bought your alternator as a reman at advance or AutoZone it probably has a limited lifetime warranty which means when it dies they exchange it for a fresh reman alternator and you get to do the work again period and then again in another 12 to18 months. The key being you have a functioning alternator. I would find your sales receipt or go to the store and ask them to pull up your purchase history as they will likely have captured which vehicle it was for. If that is where you purchased it. Even the online stores often have a limited lifetime warranty . But first get the system load tested in order to provide the evidence that the alternator is shot.

Last edited by derf; 09-19-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Actually that sounds like your battery is not sufficiently charged. what is the voltage at rest before cold start and what is it while cranking? Do it with a voltmeter at the battery and have a friend help you. This is all of course consistent with a bad alternator but you should be able to use a running vehicle to hook up jumper cables, wait 15 minutes to charge the battery a bit, then jumpstart the car, get it running and go directly to AutoZone or similar for a charging test . Obviously leave it running in the parking lot because you will not be able to start it again. Bring a friend with jumper cables and a vehicle just in case it stalls because the battery is too low and the alternator goes further south. If you cycle through scenario this too many times, you will greatly shorten the life of your battery.