P0172

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

A fouled MAF skews towards a higher voltage, the system thinks there is more air so it adds more fuel. Check the sensor for signs of contamination (moisture/oil). The evap purge solenoid may also be stuck open and constantly drawing fuel vapors from the tank.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Thank you for the direction.
i replaced the evap purge valve and solenoid last year. Was struggling with that issue for a while, before I discovered where the solenoid actually was.
MAF sensor looks ok. No oil or dirt.
Fuel pressure holds steady just shy of 58

Old 08-08-2020, 02:09 PM

Drove around 60 miles. Will let it sit overnight

Old 08-08-2020, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

That long term number is better.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:37 PM

Still has not completed a drive cycle. Waiting on Catalyst and Evap System.
Drove it for about an hour today, highway, around town, etc, still not ready.

But I do now have another couple of codes I have not gotten before. So there's that...
P0133
P1133

Related to the new o2 I put in, so I'm sure its something to do with my wiring.

Also, Im wondering if you HAVE to clear the codes, or if they will go away once the problem is solved. Since it takes so long for a drive cycle, I wonder if I should wait to see if they clear up after I do whatever it is I need to do, or clear them, and start the cycle over again...

Old 08-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Remember the EVAP needs to be 3/4 to 1/4 full gas tank after not driving for 8 hours. Emissions I mean catalyst seems to take about 50 miles at least on a old S cars. If you are throwing oxygen sensor codes, the catalyst will never finish because I can't check how well it is working with bogus oxygen sensor readings. Did you track down the pigtail or did you try to fix that connector?

So there are some interdependencies with the monitors and the tests associated with them. When you clear the codes, you reset all a monitors to a state of not ready and then they can go through with their cycle in the order that they want to. Sounds like it will take longer but you start from a clean slate. Obviously you will have to get the oxygen sensor sorted out first.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Here I spent four minutes looking this up. I think it's worth 30 bucks plus shipping although you might want to order more to make the shipping worth it or look for a RockAuto discount code.

2010 Vue 2.4L O2 connector

Old 08-10-2020, 05:13 PM

Thank you!
i am just waiting for mine to come in. In the meantime, I did my best. But then I got the codes (and other strange things) so I finally rebuilt the connector with spare parts I got hanging around.
I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm pretty sure it's a solid connection now.
But I did not clear the codes after I rebuilt the connector. So I just did that and we'll see.
I'll probably have to do whole thing again after my part comes in

Old 08-10-2020, 05:16 PM

What year Malibu did your engine come out of? If it's later than a 2012, it uses a high-pressure direct injection pump that has been linked to rich conditions. GM has issued a TSB for other models using the high pressure fuel pump, where unexplained rich conditions exist. They provide a method of troubleshooting by disconnecting a hose in the PCV system. Quoting from another forum: #PIP5590A: Diagnostic Aids For P0172 and P0175 CorrectionIf SI does not Isolate the cause of the rich condition the following may be help full.

Disconnect the dirty air side of the PCV system

Plug the vacuum supply

Start the engine and monitor the fuel trims in closed loop.

If the fuel trims return to normal this is a good indicator that the high pressure fuel pump is leaking.

With this concern we do not see a lot of fuel in the crank case, so changing the oil may not isolate the concern.

When the high pressure fuel pump leaks the PCV will pull the fuel mist straight into the intake causing the concern.

Note: This is a preliminary temporary diagnostic and repair.

As more investigation information becomes available this PI will be updated or advanced to a bulletin.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM

at least after I get this installed, I know it will be done right. Then I will drive and drive...

Quick Reply: P0172