Dilemma need suggestions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 02:52 AM
Exclamation Dilemma need suggestions..

So I know I posted 2 or 3 days ago that I was going to do all kinds
work on my Vue. Got the new radiator in and new a/c dryer(accumulator)/receiver ready to go (just need to finish connecting it), got new fresh spark plugs in.
Also got the new rotors and brakes on (just need to bleed the system). I went with the slotted and drilled rotors from auto shack.com that came with pads.
Now the dilemma is.... should I or shouldn't I do the timing belt water pump like I kinda planned on doing but ya know the old saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" yet I'm not wanting to go thru the hassle of doing it when it does break .... I do already have the kit . So wanting some input from other Vue owners should I do it or not? My Vue Has over 200k and I don't know when or even if the water pump and timing belt has ever been changed.
​It is a concern because I don't want to be stuck on the freeway or wherever if it does go out. Also the new pump and belt what if I do it and it goes out right away or I can't line up the timing correctly.
​​​​I am pretty competent and confident that I can do it, but sometimes I get in over my abilities (get in over my head). So I need some advice or input about doing it or not. Please reply or email me at forebayonly7@gmail.com. I thank you in advance.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

As far as I'm concerned, you've explained to us all the reasons you should change it out now and none of the reasons why you shouldn't.

Whether a belt or a chain, when it breaks, you are likely looking at mangled valves and who knows what because these are interference engines. That's not something you want to deal with later on because parts or rebuilt engines will be more difficult to find, you will not want to be learning full engine rebuilding at that time.

Also, should you get into technical no man's land, you can always take it to an independent shop that has worked on Saturns and have them finish that part of the work.

Basically, you have means, motive, and most importantly opportunity.

Get it while you can (Janice Joplin)

Old 07-22-2023, 07:40 AM

I'm in 100% agreement with derf. Change it before something catastrophic happens and you have to scrap the vehicle because it will cost more to repair than it's worth.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

When you do not know if the proper maintenance has been done you do it and move on. I purchased a 20 year old LW300 last year with 96,000 miles on it. I replaced all the timing components and the water pump. The belt interval is 100,000 miles on this engine, they also need to be changed by age. The water pump will never make it to the second belt interval.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:51 PM
Default Again need assistance

Well got water pump installed and all the new timing components installed. I got my gears all at TDC. Just ready for putting on the new belt. Well I'm just wondering what direction to have the belt going. I've seen a few videos on YouTube etc where two people have the arrows on the timing belt pointed counter clockwise. I actually think they are wrong by putting it that way and I think it should have the arrows pointed clockwise. So what direction is it I have to go?? As your looking down at the engine do you point the arrows

From rear to front or flip it and go the opposite direction??
back to front (clockwise) or front to back?? I know might seem like a stupid question but I'm like wtf they put the arrows the wrong way in the videos ?!?!?!?

Old 07-27-2023, 02:29 AM

Oh I also wanted to ask if there's any special tricks to getting the belt on it seems pretty tight now without the tensioner active and not able to get it around the rear cam gear. Should the last one be the tensioner pulley?

Old 07-27-2023, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

It is explained in the repair manual. I recommend that you follow the book. The timing marks on the belt will only line up when installed correctly. I do not have a book for a VUE with a Honda engine. Sorry.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:04 AM

There are a LOT of youtube videos showing how to properly line up your cam and crank timing marks. THIS IS CRITICAL. If you don't have your timing marks lined up properly, you can cause catastrophic engine damage when you try to start the vehicle. Valves will crash into the pistons, thus bending and possibly breaking the valves. This can also crack and knock holes in your pistons. If that happens, you're screwed. I can send you a PM with pictures of a neighbor of mines engine when he didn't get his timing marks lined up right on a POS Chevy Spark he had at the time. A simple few minutes on the internet could have saved him $1,000 for a used engine. He THOUGHT he knew what he was doing because he was a helicopter mechanic in the Marine Corps. God help the guys who rode in choppers he worked on was all I could think.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Rube, having met you, I can see the expression on your face while you scratched the the rear left side of your neck and made that flat grimace with your face

Old 07-29-2023, 08:06 AM

You got it, derf. It's a look I've given so many times over the years, I couldn't even count.