2008 Vue - Manual Shift Lock Release?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:42 AM
Default 2008 Vue - Manual Shift Lock Release?

Hi all,

Dumb question of the day maybe but...does the 2008 Vue have a manual shift lock release? Ex: Dead Battery. Key stuck in ignition. Need to be able to put it in neutral so I can roll it back to get to where I can jump it. Reading some posts indicates it has one but cannot find where the location was identified. Even called two Chevy Dealers service Departments. Both said "we don't know...if it has one, it will be near the shifter or below the steering wheel. I cannot find it or an access panel to it anywhere. Usually, you pop off a "button" or panel and push a button or insert the key in a slot. What say the brainpower?

Old 04-13-2020, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty sure like most vehicles it has a brake transmission interlock switch. But that is of course electrically actuated.

I briefly owned a 2008 Vue XR. I don't believe there is a release button on the column. You may need to partially remove the center console to release the interlock.

However, use of a jump box--lead acid or Lithium polymer-- removes the need to move the vehicle to jump it.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=Charbear;64519]Hi all,

Dumb question of the day maybe but...does the 2008 Vue have a manual shift lock release? Ex: Dead Battery. Key stuck in ignition. Need to be able to put it in neutral so I can roll it back to get to where I can jump it. Reading some posts indicates it has one but cannot find where the location was identified. Even called two Chevy Dealers service Departments. Both said "we don't know...if it has one, it will be near the shifter or below the steering wheel. I cannot find it or an access panel to it anywhere. Usually, you pop off a "button" or panel and push a button or insert the key in a slot. What say the brainpower?[/QU
More than likely the problem is with the gear shifting unit. There is a roll pin connected to gear shift sector shift which will slide up when placing the gear shifter in park. Problem is the roll pin gets play and will not allow the mini micro switch to activate. I have place a .017 sleeve over roll pin to make up for the lose of movement in the linkage.
I can e mail pics if needed