Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Ignition Cylinder

Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 AM
Banned
Default Ignition Cylinder

Hello all,

My name is Zack and I have a 2001 L200.

About a month a go I had a new key made by the vin#. Now about a week ago. My steering column is locking up and the key won't turn. If the key is in the ignition and I tap it with a hammer, I can eventually get the key to turn and the car to start.

By looking up online it looks like my ignition cylinder is bad.

1) Is this a simple fix to do myself? If yes, how do I get a copy of key?
2) Should I take this to a shop?

Thank you all. I really appreciate your input.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

from research on L series (2000 LS2)
2a) IMPORTANT: Auto Trans: Put the car in Drive + Engage E-brake to keep car from starting. Manual Trans: Neutral, foot OFF of clutch pedal
3) turn the key to START
4) There is a hole above the lock cylinder that accesses the release to remove the lock cylinder. Just push a small screw driver in there and push down on the lock pin. The cylinder should just pull out.

If your lock cannot be turned to the START position, then you will have to drill out the lock pin to get the cyl out.

Look for and remove debris in the housing when you pull the lock cyl; there may just be metal shavings and such that are binding up the cyl when trying to rotate. I have seen posts stating a cleaning of the area and orig cyl of metal debris made everything function properly.

Your call.
---buy an aftermarket lock cyl that comes with it's own key
(end result: 1 key for ign, 1 key for everything else)

And I wouldn't push your luck w the hammer. Address the situation before you end up w a completely stuck or broken off key, which will make this much more difficult to repair. Remember you need to be able to rotate it to the START position

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Try your old key. I just had the dealer cut two keys and they were a little stiff for a few days. The new keys worked great in the door right away.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Spartan, did you get the new VIN cut keys b/c the originals were hanging up in the ign?

Old 05-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
from research on L series (2000 LS2)
2a) IMPORTANT: Auto Trans: Put the car in Drive + Engage E-brake to keep car from starting. Manual Trans: Neutral, foot OFF of clutch pedal
3) turn the key to START
4) There is a hole above the lock cylinder that accesses the release to remove the lock cylinder. Just push a small screw driver in there and push down on the lock pin. The cylinder should just pull out.

If your lock cannot be turned to the START position, then you will have to drill out the lock pin to get the cyl out.

Look for and remove debris in the housing when you pull the lock cyl; there may just be metal shavings and such that are binding up the cyl when trying to rotate. I have seen posts stating a cleaning of the area and orig cyl of metal debris made everything function properly.

Your call.
---buy an aftermarket lock cyl that comes with it's own key
(end result: 1 key for ign, 1 key for everything else)

And I wouldn't push your luck w the hammer. Address the situation before you end up w a completely stuck or broken off key, which will make this much more difficult to repair. Remember you need to be able to rotate it to the START position
Thanks. I can get in the Start position with use of a hammer, but I onltry tried that because my car was stuck at the grocery store. It looks like the cylinder is $53 at Autozone and I found a locksmith to key it for $25 to match my key. I am going to see what a dealership chargers for the part plus keying. I really appreciate the advice.

Last edited by spartan89; 05-18-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
Spartan, did you get the new VIN cut keys b/c the originals were hanging up in the ign?
I got an extra because my original was worn down. It would start the car but not open the doors. I would get into the car using the fob, but I broker it.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Banned

Another importing thing to mention. When I first had trouble starting the car, I was able to rotate the steering wheel 1/2 turn and the tires did not move. Do you think this is a bigger problem like the steering column?

When I was able to getting started by pulling the wheel down to get to the grocery store and with the hammer to get the car back to the grocery store, the steering seemed fine.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

i think it prob depends on which direction your wheels were pointed in at the time. If they're cranked all the way to one side, then you will easily see them move, but if they are close to center you may not be able to tell.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Banned

Thanks all. I am going to change the cylinder this week.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

hey folks --is there any recommended grease/lube for install (yes I remember the Ions)?

Last edited by derf; 05-19-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Cylinder