Timing belt failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Default Timing belt failure

So there I was, getting on the highway on Friday in my 2003 VUE 3.0 AWD. I put the pedal to the floor passing a semi truck when at 5500 RPMs my timing belt let loose. Thankfully I had gained enough speed to coast to the shoulder of the highway and get a flatbed home.

so I ordered a new timing belt and installed it yesterday. I already knew that it was screwed, but I figured it was worth taking a chance. Apparently I bent enough valves that it won’t even start up, just doesn’t really bad *** backfire out of the intake manifold.

I now know what I need to do, so I will remove the cylinder heads and either get a set from the uPull or I talked to a local machine shop and they said if I provide the valves, they will install them for $120. I figured that’s probably not a bad option, saves me a ton of labor and they’ll clean the heads up too.

my question is, do you think it’s best to replace all the valves, or just the ones that bent? Also, does anybody have any recommendations of a belt tension gauge so that I don’t over tighten the belt this time around. I’m assuming between a cheaper belt and over tightening, that was the culprit that led to the failure.

Thankfully I don’t think it’s the worst job in the world to do. Considering I’ve done it before when I bought the car and it had a broken timing belt. That time around I went to the uPull and got some cylinder heads, but it becomes a little tedious to do that much work at a junkyard, just to come back to your house and have to do it all over again.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Are they 4 valves per cylinder? The valves are pretty expensive even at Rock Auto.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Are they 4 valves per cylinder? The valves are pretty expensive even at Rock Auto.
yeah, it’s four valves per cylinder and from rock auto it’s about $250 for all of them. I did find a set on partsology.com that was $137 for an entire set. Plus, I had a 10% off coupon so I could use that when I order them. I would do the valves myself, but from what I understand the recessed springs don’t work very well with a standardize tool.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:09 AM

If it were mine, I'd replace ALL of the valves. If the shop is willing to mill the heads if they're warped (and salvageable) I'd let them do the job. That's a cheap enough fix to have a running vehicle with no monthly notes.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Besides, how often do you get to legitimately purchase a single function tool you will use for one job and then hang on the wall? It's calling your name

Old 03-13-2021, 07:03 AM

I've got my Dads old valve spring compressor. It's shaped like a large C-clamp with a handle on one end and kind of a split spoon on the other. It's adjustable for whatever size head you may be working with. I saw my Dad use it twice, I assisted him using it once more and then I have used it twice. It's got to be over 60 years old and would still work like a charm if I ever need it.