Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:21 AM

I've gone ahead and replaced the temp sensor, cleaned the EGR, and now i'm thinking about replacing the O2.... how much did u guys spend on an O2 sensor? Did you notice any major differences in fuel consumption?

-S-turn-

Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 AM

Since you didn't put down mileage and year but replaced the coolant sensor and cleaned the EGR valve its assumed you keep up with maintenance. Those two parts alone especially the coolant sensor and possibly thermostat are crucial to maintaining fuel economy including your right foot. Again, assuming that plugs and/or plug wires were serviced along with oil and filter changes there should be no reason to replace the O2 sensor unless you have a major engine problem directly attributable to the O2 failing. Its job, when working properly, is to detect oxygen or the absence of it by temperature and send data back to the ECM to hold the air/fuel ratio tightly at 14.7:1. Unless you're very expert at determining when an O2 sensor begins to fail or notice a tremendous fuel consumption problem that may be due to other sensors failing it would be best to leave the O2 sensor alone until you're absolutely sure its at fault. By that timea DTC code will light up the SES light. If you live in a state with emissions inspection you'll know if the O2 sensor has failed instead of thinking this might improve fuel economy by mere replacment. Its main task is to control emissions while the secondary benefit is maximizing fuel use.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:34 PM

sorry, i've become lax on putting down year and model.... 92' SL-1. i have replaced plugs and wires a thousand miles ago. i haven't had a chance to go through a full tank of gas w/ the new sensor and cleaned EGR... so i'll have to post any noticable changes when i get a chance

-S-Turn-Edited by: S-Turn