Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:23 PM

On my 2000 SL2 the heat shield between the gas tank and exhaust pipe has come loose (one failed fasten on side closest to the drivers side). It rattles like.......well I don't know what.

I can't firgure out how to reattach it to the frame where the fastener is still in place but the shield has broken away. Suggestions?

I'm tempted to pull the thing off, but heat and gas........anyone have any experience?

Old 04-24-2007, 11:17 PM

I went to AutoZone and got a universal attaching strap (metal strap with holes punched into it so you can slide a bolt through it at whatever length you want it at)... Worked wonders to stop the clunking on my exhaust since the mounts for it all snapped off...

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm not sure this would work, as the heat shield is the shape of a semi-circle, and there is nothing above to wrap a strap around. The fastener didn't fail, as it is still screwed into the frame, but rather the heat shield cracked from the edge of where it was fastened to its outer edge and then fell (onto the exhaust). Know I get to hear the sound of it gonging between the exhaust and frame.....not bad if the right song is on the radio, but otherwise very annoying.

Maybe a self tapping screw into the car frame? but I would rather just remove it.

Has anyone removed this heat shield?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 PM

I pulled off the outer casing of my cat and then did the strap thing. But in your case, what if you were to take a strip of exhaust insulation, wrap it around the exhaust, and then use a few straps to hold it on. That would 1) act as a better heat shield and 2) eliminate all possible noise. Not a fix to the problem, I know, but at least it shouldn't annoy you until you have extra cash to replace the sucker.</span>

Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM

If you're gonna remove the heat shield you could try patching over the damaged area if it's just a small spot. Get a chunk of sheet metal and rivet or self tap it to the shield. Orget a diff.one out of the jung yard. 3rd option: just run some self-tappers through the shield and into the chassis.... nobody is going to see your craftsmanship anyway

-S-Turn-