Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Install Factory Fog Lights 02 SL1

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Tim when your ready I have a unused set of fogs for a 2000-2002 SW/SL hear at the house. Includes brackets, bulbs, and pigtails.

If I were to add a set............I'd hardwire them to the fusebox to come on when ever the key is in the run postions. Thats one wire from each to ground and one wire each to any position in the fuse box that comes to life when the key is on run. Simple. Fogs would than be on hi or lo beam.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Holy crap, thanks Rj...start thinking about how much you'd need to get for those, would you?
I have already bought the factory fog lights switch that is up above the radio in the rear window defrost cluster, I wonder if it would be possible to use it instead of hard-wiring? I mean, it IS a switch, isn't it?
Tim

Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 AM

What about $50 bucks plus shipping for the pair.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Banned

Timmerz --

You cannot use the switch to directly turn the fog lamps on/off -- the lamps draw too much power, and will burn the switch out. If you want "switch control" over them, you have to use a relay, and control the relay with the switch ...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by RjION
What about $50 bucks plus shipping for the pair.
That's a great price! Let me get together with my "financial advisor" (you know who) and see how quickly i can get that budgeted out...we're in the middle of two mortgages and one car payment....might take me a couple of weeks?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by timmerz
I'm pretty jealous here, Skip...I've wanted to install OEM fogs on my wagon ever since I bought it, but the task just looked too daunting, and my skillz are nowhere near complete enough...
Please let me know how this comes out?
Whereabouts are you?
Tim
Will do. I'm in Utica, New York - just about smackdab center in Upstate NY. Once the snow actually melts and the winds don't threaten to tip my Smart ForTwo over, I'd love to get out there and get going - but it's just constantly too cold for me to be calmly tinkering away on a tedious project.

I've come to some conclusions. The wiring from the dash (where the interior light dimmer **** is) to the fuse box is all already there. The wiring from the fuse box to the fogs is not present.

You need 6 jumpers and a relay to make the switch function - as mentioned above, the switch really controls the relay directly, which indirectly dictates power to the fogs.

According to this very handy guide on SaturnWiki.com, all I need to do is find some jumpers, plug in the relay, swap out the dash dimmer for a dimmer / fog combo (found at a local pick-&-pull) and wire up the lights.

Only problems are:
A) I can't tell where to run the wires because the site is experiencing "technical difficulties".
B) I don't know what "connect your fog-lights to the lead you just added to the connector" means. Obviously I extend the lead to reach both fogs, but how do I connect the fogs?
C) I don't know what "ground your fog-lights to the frame or connect into the body ground splice packs" means, and how that's done. What and where is the splice pack, or how do I ground the fogs to the frame?

A local aftermarket parts installer offered to wire them up for me in an hour for $60 as long as I give them all the parts I have, and mount the brackets / housings so that they don't have to tinker with hardware. I think I'm just going to go that route and let some pros do it.

Last edited by SkippyThorson; 02-12-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by timmerz
That's a great price! Let me get together with my "financial advisor" (you know who) and see how quickly i can get that budgeted out...we're in the middle of two mortgages and one car payment....might take me a couple of weeks?
Let me know brother I'll go out in the garage and see if I can find them........can pay using paypal that way we are both covered.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM

Almost there!!! Turns out, there are 2 separate purple wires on the 3rd gen S-Series that lead to the fog lights. There is a purple wire in place in both the second and third from the right slots in the second row down.

Left Fog Light: There's a black ground wire that goes back into that grid that the two purple wires came out of.

Right Fog Light: There's a small box of wires grounded to the frame that I could not gain access to, because the bolt holding it in place was rusted away on the junkyard SC.

-----

I'd like to take a quick walk through the Wiki, because that's how I learn.

Install The Switch Pod
Check. Got the dash button where the dimmer is. Plug and play.

Install Underhood Fuse Block Components
Check. Got the "6 junction block to fuse panel jumpers, and 1 I/P connector pin with a lead". If you remove all the fuses, the jumpers are self-explanatory, they just connect the fuse to the wiring in what would otherwise be a gap. The I/P leads (Like I said above, there were 2) were difficult to remove even after getting out the comb lock. They were really in there.

Getting at the junction block
Check.

Adding jumpers
Check.

Adding the harness connector
Check.

Splicing the block to your fog-lights
Check. No splicing necessary. Right purple wire to the left side fog light, left purple wire across the car (behind the headlights) to the right side fog light. Left black ground back into the same grid block thing, and right black ground into the ground panel already on the frame.

-----

Now it's just a matter of getting the warm weather over a good weekend to do it. I did end up cutting wires, and it was a good choice. Without removing the WHOLE wiring harness that ran to every front bulb, I just pulled the purple and black fog wires out with a cut near the middle. I'll solder and shrink them back to good-as-new, and take it from there.

Only thing left to do now is put them in. Next weekend, I'll get the bumper off, get the fog light brackets on, and start the whole process on my car.

I also found factory blue door handles, a spoiler and a trunk for my car. I may just end up using the spoiler, but we'll see. I'll document the whole fog light process when I'm done.

Last edited by SkippyThorson; 03-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:37 PM

I'm going to rip my hair out. How does one get the fog light blanks out of a 2002 S-Series bumper? Didn't think this would be my first snag!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM

Holy crap!!! Had a few hiccups, like getting to the grey block on the under side of the fuse panel, and trying to actually line up the fog lights, but not half bad.

We only have two problems that remain tomorrow:
*First, the ground wire I pulled on the junk car is already there on mine. Rather than fishing for the main ground wire, I'm going to splice the ground of each fog light to the ground going to each side marker.
*Second, sort of unrelated, the 2 clips that hold the screws to the air box on the battery tray rotted away. I need 2 new clips to replace them. I could actually use a new battery tray, really.

Other than that, I've been taking pictures along the way to document the project myself. I'll post a write up when I'm all done.

Quick Reply: Install Factory Fog Lights 02 SL1