Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Install Factory Fog Lights 02 SL1

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Default Install Factory Fog Lights 02 SL1

So, I've wanted to install factory fog lights for a while on my car, and after a trip to the junk yard, I found the brackets, housings, and pulled the on / off switch that sits next to the interior light dimmer. Someone else had already gotten to the wiring and bulbs from the front.

My question is, is everything already prewired in there? My car does not have factory fog lights already, just the black plastic hole fillers in the bumper. This is the first time I'll be trying something like this. Can I get any words of wisdom to guide me? Thanks!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Next time you have the car up on the rack, slide underneath and look for the protected/stored end of the fog light circuits

Old 07-03-2010, 08:03 PM

So I'm not looking for a dangling end in the fender somewhere, it's a covered piece right near the fog lights - if it's there?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:51 AM

No they are not pre-wired.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Crap.

Well, can you give me sort of a list of what I'd be looking for in terms of the wiring? Is it separate from the headlight wiring, or is it all pretty much together?

Also, that switch that's with the interior dimmer has the same connectors and 7 wires as mine, which doesn't have the foglight switch. Is that at least prewired to the fuse box?

At any rate, where would I trace it as I'm taking it out? Is it difficult or not too bad?

Last edited by SkippyThorson; 07-04-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Ok, so I have the fog light brackets, housings, bulbs and harnesses, and the button that sits next to the dimmer.

My conundrum is that I've never had to deal with a relay before. So I'm rather ignorant in wiring my own fog lights. I sort of need a Factory Fog Lights for Dummies.

1) There are two SCs (one '00, one '01) that both have all the wiring intact and unmolested - lights, fogs and the whole shebang. What exactly am I missing in terms of the wiring / fuses / anything?

2) That button and dimmer; there are the same 7 wires coming off of mine without the fog button as there are on the one with the button. Does that mean I can pop the new one in its place, and not worry about that wiring?

Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM

I'm back to this old conundrum again. Got another Saturn, still without fog lights. Something about planet earth doesn't want me to have fogs.

I've read about the process, and kept reading about the process, but I'm just still unsure about the whole ordeal. I've never, ever dealt with wiring. It's the only thing I'm totally ignorant about when it comes to vehicles.

I have the dash button for the fogs, and I've come to the conclusion that the wiring is already there between the fuse box and the dash. I've also come to the conclusion that there is no wiring between the fuse box and the lights.

Via the SaturnWiki.com page for installing fogs on a 2nd gen S-Series, I've learned a good deal of information, but I am unsure about some things.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd like to take a quick walk through the Wiki, because that's how I learn.

Install The Switch Pod
I'm totally fine with adding on the button.

Install Underhood Fuse Block Components
What exactly are the "6 junction block to fuse panel jumpers, and 1 I/P connector pin with a lead"?? The cached pictures there don't enlarge, and are unhelpful as-is.

Getting at the junction block
Fine with this one.

Adding jumpers
I'll be ok with this one once I know what these jumpers are.

Adding the harness connector
Again, this will be ok once I know what the I/P connector pin with lead is.

Splicing the block to your fog-lights
This is where I'm lost completely.
1) Am I supposed to just extend the lead so that it reaches both fog lights, and hook them up to that extension? How do I do that?
2) What from the fog light wiring gets hooked in to what?
3) As for grounding it into the frame, how do I do that?
This is the only part where I think the Wiki is pretty unhelpful for a wiring novice.

Last edited by SkippyThorson; 02-03-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Go to your local AutoZone (PepBoys, O'Reileys, whatever) and purchase the Chilton Manual for Saturn cars #62300. Cost is $25 bucks last time I looked.

Open to the electrical section (page 12-45). The fog light control circuit and fog lamp wiring layout is clearly shown ....

Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Go to your local AutoZone (PepBoys, O'Reileys, whatever) and purchase the Chilton Manual for Saturn cars #62300. Cost is $25 bucks last time I looked.

Open to the electrical section (page 12-45). The fog light control circuit and fog lamp wiring layout is clearly shown ....
That may just be worth the money. Never knew such a thing existed. Very cool, thanks for the tip.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM

I'm pretty jealous here, Skip...I've wanted to install OEM fogs on my wagon ever since I bought it, but the task just looked too daunting, and my skillz are nowhere near complete enough...
Please let me know how this comes out?
Whereabouts are you?
Tim

Quick Reply: Install Factory Fog Lights 02 SL1