Automatic shift Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by derf
me chilton's sez
5.3 qts up to 1997
4.2 qts 98 and up

what year is your ride?
I have to confirm what Derf posts as to what books say. What I did with mine was when I drained the transmission when changing the fluid I did what I normally do is fill gallon jugs I keep around such as anti-freeze of something used for fluids when servicing cars and I filled one completly and almost the 2nd one. Eyeballing that I used 2 gallon containers of transmission fluid to replace what was drained and that was all of one and most of the other again the in-exact method of eyeball and when I had driven he car and parked and checked the fluid level with the dip stick it looked like it was probably o.k. and maybe a little over filled.
I did change the filter which is a spin on unit. So I had better pay a little better attention to the fluid level. It is possible to have problems from over filling. How probable though I don't know. So it is better to be safe than sorry. I can read the level on mine, they are never that real easy, what is the reason you are having problems?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Default Findings so far

Originally Posted by timmerz
Nicko, if you only put a little over 4 qts of tranny fluid in and UJ says he's under the impression it takes almost 8 I wouoldn't even drive the vehicle until you are able to get some kind of decent reading to find out if it's only got half of the correct amount of fluid in it...owner's manual (if you've got it in your glove compartment) or a shop manual from your auto parts store will be your friend for this....My daughter's using my Saturn right now or I would quote you what mine says...
Greetings all,My apologies in taking so long to give an update,But I have some news that will help future questions on this issue, The car is a 2002 SL-1 first off,I found when I drained the pan to only have 3.75 quarts of fluid,remember I was having a very difficult time reading the dip stick so that's where my lack of fluid comes from.I did replace with a new filter and 4.2 quarts,again it's still very difficult to read dip stick.The car drove and downshifted much ,much better .It did give me a slight bang on downshift once instead of many times in my drive,I decided to put in a full 5 quarts instead of 4.2 which I was told was the requirement and I have not since experienced and harsh up shift or downshift. At this point I consider it a repair.Thanks to all and I hope this will be helpfull to anyone else with similar issues.