Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

2000 SL1 Horn/Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Default 2000 SL1 Horn/Alarm

New here and this is my first post and I'm a novice when it comes to cars and repairs, so please bear with me.
For the past few months my horn and alarm have not been working. I've check both the fuse and the relay with a meter, both appear to be fine. I then took a meter to the plug at the horn under the hood. When I hit the horn (or alarm) there was no reading (i.e. no power). So my guess is that the physical horn does not need replaced and the problem is somewhere in the wiring before the fuses or the switch. Has anybody encountered this problem before?
My thoughts are that it is something with the horn switch, assuming that the alarm is connected and originates from the same spot. Where should I go next for trouble shooting? Anyone know where I can get wiring schematics for the horn/alarm and where I can find some good directions for disassembling the steering wheel without having the airbag sock me in the nose? Thanks.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Dank,
Mine has been like that for a long time. I think in my case because the car is parked mostly outside heat from the sun etc. has damaged the push button mechanism under the plastic cover which is as hard as a rock now, on the steering wheel.
If you purchase from the help section a chilton or mitchel or what ever service manual for your car you will, if you can read, make the expense back the very first time you use it. The instructions you are looking for will be in that manual.
Along with a whole bunch of other information. The time has long since passed that you could fix your car with a bit of back yard luck, a bobby pin and a jack knife