Saturn L300, what is this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Default Saturn L300, what is this?

There is a black box directly attached fore of the battery it had a chunk taken out and i know it got wet. I need to know what it is but cant find anything on it. I know it got wet a a while back then it went crazy (wipers, lights, locks, horn and everything else going off) and it has sat ever since. recently I jumped it so it could run and get all the bad gas out and it got stuck in park with a security warning but after disconnecting the battery it went away. Also before the security warning came up the tachometer stopped working but the engine was still running. It didn't go crazy again but I need to know what that chip is and how much it will cost. (2002 Saturn L-300 4 door v6)

Last edited by Emb410; 12-09-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

That box contains the relays for the cooling fans, you may have other problems also. Where are you?

Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
That box contains the relays for the cooling fans, you may have other problems also. Where are you?
Well the temp gauge is pegged out and the idiot light was on light so it makes sense. I got it out today and found a blown fuse (i believe it was ignition 3) and replaced it. Then put new gas, washed it, and put some fuel injector cleaner in it. It ran ok but when i got home i checked the fuse boxes on the inside and when i went to open the driver side one the car flickered and went haywire like the first time it got wet. The tach died, the dash and dome lights flickered and went out along with the service soon and abs light coming on. In the passenger side the door locks fuse was blown and I replaced it. The security light came on and it was stuck in park. I unplugged the battery to reset it then jumped it again. The security light was still on but it went in gear and i drove it into the garage. Any idea on the cost of the part?

Last edited by Emb410; 12-09-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

I would source a used one from a wrecking yard. Should fit all L series 2000-05. It sounds like your car may have the incorrect headlight switch also. The 02 switch does not have an off position. It has auto, park and on. I bought an 02 with an 01 switch and it had lots of flickering lights and clicking relays until corrected. You need a good battery for any further diagnosis, jumping a dead battery just won’t get it.

Last edited by 02 LW300; 12-09-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Default New part still old problems

I would source a used one from a wrecking yard. Should fit all L series 2000-05. It sounds like your car may have the incorrect headlight switch also. The 02 switch does not have an off position. It has auto, park and on. I bought an 02 with an 01 switch and it had lots of flickering lights and clicking relays until corrected. You need a good battery for any further diagnosis, jumping a dead battery just won’t get it.
Well I got a new CFCM and when I put it in, then jumped it. The problem is that it turned the fan on without the key even in the car. I went ahead and started it and the temp gauge and light were still on. So my next best guest was that the temp sensor on the engine was shorted, so i went to and got a new one and put it in. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem and right now my best guess is that the dead battery is not giving enough voltage and the system is giving false readings. That also might be why my service soon light is on. I'm in the KCMO area any idea on any dealerships that can read codes are?

Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

What part of “you need a good battery” was not clear?

Old 12-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

You need a good battery for any further diagnosis, jumping a dead battery just won’t get it.
Hmmmm, seems pretty logical, straightforward, and obvious.

---------
Originally Posted by Emb410
....my service soon light is on
---------
That would have been nice to know from the get-go.
REPLACE YOUR BATTERY like the man said.
Go get the codes read for free at Autozone or similar FOR FREE --they usually lead you to the source of problems. Post as Pxxxx .
----------
You posted to this site for advice.
You were given information and advice.
You chose to ignore the advice.

If you continue to ignore the advice we're providing, there's no point in us trying to help you to solve issues with your vehicle.
------------
No, I'm not being arrogant and holier than thou; I'm simply saying you asked for our advice but you won't follow it.
If you don't plan on following our advice, why are you seeking it?

Please get the codes read, and post them and get a new battery before asking for more help, because there's nothing more we can do for you until you do.

Your choice