Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Left Rear Backing Plate for 2002 Saturn L100

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 05:36 PM
Default Left Rear Backing Plate for 2002 Saturn L100

I am hoping someone can help me. I have searched for hours for a left rear backing plate for my 2002 saturn l100. I had all the brake lines replaced, plus the back wheel cylindars. The garage took it for a last test drive and BOOM, the backing plate fell off. Of course its discontinued and I have exhausted my mind looking online for this part, not to mention calling every junk yard close by. No luck on ebay, amazon, rock auto, or any other online used parts outlet. Does anyone know where I can get one or if there is a universal rear backing plate that can be used? (I know absolutely nothing about cars so the last question is a long shot) Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 09-30-2019, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

That's the shop's problem not yours.
They worked on your rear brakes and failed to reassemble it properly. They're probably claiming it was Rusty old and therefore not their issue. ask them if they physically touched it while doing their work. They did. It's on them. Andy will be along shortly to give you an idea where else to look.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Our L series cars are Opel Vectra B cars, they sold many more in Europe than they did here. I did a quick search on Ebay.Uk and came up empty. All my L series cars have rear disc brakes except for the 2000 Ls1 I have in the driveway. The lower trim level cars have rear drums. They only made these cars for six years here and parts are drying up. Most wrecking yards will not sell just a backing plate, there is just too much labor involved. I have only saved disc brake parts but I may convert the Ls1 to discs. This is a next year kind of project for me as the car also needs an engine. Where in the country are you? If you are in the Mid West to the North East they salt the roads and cars don’t last. You might have to buy a complete knuckle assembly to just get a backing plate. Actually a rear knuckle is only $40-70 here in Oregon. So call for a complete drum brake knuckle and see what you find.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by derf
That's the shop's problem not yours.
They worked on your rear brakes and failed to reassemble it properly. They're probably claiming it was Rusty old and therefore not their issue. ask them if they physically touched it while doing their work. They did. It's on them. Andy will be along shortly to give you an idea where else to look.
Hi There,

Thank you for responding! This garage is where my brother and sister in-law works, so as far as trusting a garage, this is it. Im sure they did nothing wrong but try to replace what they could without costing me any more money. This is actually my daughters car that she bought this summer. I let her use mine while in college to give extra time to fix this. Jokes on me because I am without a car! I so appreciate you passing this along to "Andy" to give me a direction to look!

Old 09-30-2019, 07:57 PM

Thank you so much. I am in the NorthEast so yes, the salt is a killer! I really am grateful to you for giving me another avenue to look into. At this point, I am not in the least bit upset for having to buy the whole knuckle assembly to get one part. At least its an option where there was none! I am off to do another online search!

Old 09-30-2019, 10:12 PM

I live in the dirty south. If you don't find one by Friday (I'm off work then) I can go to one of the 3 yards in a 10 mile radius from me and take a look.