New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

2002 Saturn L100 BCM programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 08:54 PM
Arrow 2002 Saturn L100 BCM programming

Does anyone know ANYONE that can reprogram the “new” BCM I have for my 2002 L100. I live in the Philadelphia area and I was just told by a local GM dealership that he cannot program the BCM because the equipment required to access GMs program system were changed back in 2008/09 and that he dealership no longer has the needed equipment- he then added that he contacted 8 other dealerships in the area and they too do not have the needed equipment- I went to the dealership only after having been through my mechanic and waiting for an independent technician for three months who also was unable to perform the required programming because of the same issue. I love this car - can anyone direct me to someone who they know can get this done - in this area? I sincerely would appreciate any help here thank you

Old 02-13-2020, 05:41 AM

Spoiler

Im calling BS. I had mine done in '12 or '13.

they had to contact GM to get the software, it took an extra day. But they can do it. They just don't want to

Old 02-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I call BS on your BS on their BS.

GM is amazing in the way that they refuse to support their older products that aren't pickup trucks, Cadillacs, or collectibles.
Saturn was always the black sheep. The other divisions were jealous of the freedom Saturn had, not to mention the fact that they were selling like hotcakes. I'm going to assume you went to a Chevy dealer. They are usually sympathetic.

If my former Saturn dealer who is also a Chevy dealer and was during Saturn's time is still around, I can ask them if they can do the vehicle. The problem is it is in New Jersey. I believe the BCM has to be programmed in the vehicle. Someone please say yay or nay on that I'm just not sure. Anyway, post back if you can't find a dealer willing to do it. I will check in the meantime if they will do it.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

I call BS on your BS on their BS.

GM is amazing in the way that they refuse to support their older products that aren't pickup trucks, Cadillacs, or collectibles.
Saturn was always the black sheep. The other divisions were jealous of the freedom Saturn had, not to mention the fact that they were selling like hotcakes. I'm going to assume you went to a Chevy dealer. They are usually sympathetic.

If my former Saturn dealer who is also a Chevy dealer and was during Saturn's time is still around, I can ask them if they can do the vehicle. The problem is it is in New Jersey. I believe the BCM has to be programmed in the vehicle. Someone please say yay or nay on that I'm just not sure. Anyway, post back if you can't find a dealer willing to do it. I will check in the meantime if they will do it.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 PM

Your assumption is correct the BCM and vehicle must be in the same place at the same time to be programmed.
I don’t know what location in New Jersey your dealer is that but if he is able to do it I am willing to go there - the vehicle runs fine I just need the BCM to get the odometer back online in order to pass inspection - so any help with finding that out would definitely be appreciated. As it has been stated I am suspect of a GM dealer not being able to program the BCM but after six months of searching both through Mechanic so I know and calling around town has recommended I’m starting to feel as though it is hotter and hotter to get this done

Old 02-13-2020, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

You need to have undeniable proof of the exact mileage at which the previous BCM failed.

This is why they want nothing to do with it. Any type of manipulation of an odometer reading on a vehicle might be considered odometer tampering which is fraud and a crime. They don't want to have anything to do with the situation unless you can show them Rock solid proof of the failure mileage of the BCM. I do not know if it can be extracted from the old BCM.

Also, I don't think it's possible to program just the mileage into the BCM in the car. I believe it has to be done as part of the flash.

if you have already installed it in your vehicle, they have no way to know how far you've driven on this other BCM.

Hence with the BCM already in the vehicle there is very little chance a GM dealership will help you with a flash.

You may have to bite the bullet and get a refurbished BCM through them and have that flashed. Or another junkyard BCM and not install it.

and the mileage proof is absolutely critical.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:13 AM

I appreciate your input I want to make it clear that I have not installed the new BCM the old BCM is in the car and that this is a common problem with the L series of 2002 there was actually a recall on the BCM’s and you are correct the whole BCM needs to be flash not just the mileage but because of the odometer failure the BCM is a definite request replacement As for the suspicion of the mileage the only concern would be if they did use a refurbished or a junkyard BCM which no one will flash that legally and when they do flash a new one they mark on your door jam the mileage that they get off of the original like I said I have been going through this for six months my issue is only with finding someone who still has the tools in which To do the programming itself thanks again for your

Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry I misunderstood the original posts regarding whether the new BCM was in the car.

The dealership has changed hands but hopefully my buddies are still there and will give me the truth.