Need help! WONT CRANK....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by derf
When you swapped out the ignition switch, did you find a bunch of grease type stuff on the harness connector?
Not sure what you mean. The ignition switch on these ions is an electronic plastic switch. There is no wiring harness just two wires.

That was perennially a problem with the Ion ignitions, among other things.
Usually, it would lead to a bad connection and no crank. I suppose, depending on which pin contacts it is interfering with, it could also cause an intermittent short. Don't know how conductive it is.
I read somewhere that the switch grease inside becomes hard and causes a non-start issue over time. This one is fairly new, (six months). But I went ahead and dissected it. Found it to be a little dirty with lots of what looks like some clear grease. I cleaned it up and will install it back in tomorrow.

Did you swap in a new one or a used Saturn ign switch?
I've got three, two of which are new I bought over a few years. Nothing old except the one that was on it from the recall.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
2 amps at 12 volts is not very much load. I would sure like to see a fsm wiring diagram for that circuit. It might just be powering a relay and the relay needs to be replaced.
Good idea. Need to find that relay if one exist. But locating that diagram will not be easy...

Old 05-19-2019, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Ask the dudes over at Saturnfans.com -- there are some diehards over there with fsms to cars they don't even own.

Clearly you know by know I have never seen an Ion. On the road, yes. The mechanicals? Nyet

I did read something about an internal relay that can get fubar'd.

Let me see if I can dig it out of my browser history....