Saturn L Series Sedans & Wagons L100, L200, L300, LW200, and LW300

Won't start when hot. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Banned
Default Won't start when hot. Help?

I own a 01 LW300 Series wagon, V6. If I have it running for awhile and then I turn it off it won't start for an hour after. There is no indication of over heating and it is intermittent. I have replaced the crank position sensor and when that didn't work I took it into the mechanic and they told me they can't find anything wrong with the thing... I hope someone has some ideas or has dealt with this before?
Thanks!

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-03-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

1) Does it crank but not start or does it not crank at all?
2) If it cranks, does it crank slower than normal?
3) If it does not crank at all, can you hear the starter solenoid clicking (down on the starter) or is there just complete silence?

Check battery connections for corrosion and tightness. Cut the insulation back off the pos batt cable to check for acid damage.

I'm confused by your mechanic's assessment; if this is a reproducible issue, then you should have been able to drive it into a bay at his shop, turn it off, and have it not start, at which point he'd track down the issue.

Go to Autozone or similar and ask them to load test your charging system. It is FREE

Battery may be on the edge of failure.

Also, when starters begin to go bad, they will often begin acting up like this (when hot).

Please respond to the questions above and go get the load test done. If it's your battery and the car is acting up during the test, it'll be mighty clear

Old 01-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Banned

It doesn't crank at all, there is complete silence and the battery is brand new. There is no code and it can't be reenacted it is intermittent. It usually happens (if it happens) after long operation time or when it is hot out.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:14 AM

Sounds like some kind of thermal expansion to me. I had a two way radio years ago that would do that when it got hot. I could recieve transmissions from dispatch, but couldn't respond. By the time the radio shop got the dang thing out, it would be cooled off and they couldn't find the problem. I THINK that your problem is a wire from the battery to the starter, but since I'm not a mechanic, you'll need some other input. I tend to agree with derf about checking the cables for corrosion. It doesn't take much for it to become a real pain in the butt.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

even brand new batteries can have a defective or marginal cell.

Get the load test run. It's free and can only help you in solving the problem

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Banned

There was no code or anything showing. I am at a total loss here. :/ Thanks for the ideas.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

No code on what? The load test?

reminds me of a situation I had with a 1980 grenada once. parked at a shopping mall. came out an hour later. Turned the key. Silent as a night at Rube's house after all the drinkin's done and they've all passed out

Opened the hood. Whacked the positive terminal /connection with a hammer. Started right up. Young and stupid? Yup. My point? Weak connection=nostart.

Have you checked batt terminal tightness? Battery to starter wire and pink wire tightness and condition (loose connection/fryaed/corroded at starter?)

_____

You shouldn't be at a total loss. I've suggested several things to check and have tested (load test charging system, possible starter issue) in previous posts; no feedback from you that you perfromed these. Additional check (battery ad pink wire lead at starter) suggested in this post.

_____

For the record, I just went through the exact same scenario except that I could hear the bendix in the starter move but not engage the flywheel.

Replaced starter.

DAMN don't know how we forgot this one Rube. Get under the car and locate the starter.Carry around with you a hammer and a pipe long enough to rest on the starter.

Next time it refuses to start put the pipe up aginst the starter and give it a few whacks. If it starts, AND YOUU HAVE RULED OUT WIRING ISSUES DISCUSSED EARLIER then your starter solenoid/bendix is defective. As they are integral to the starter the starter must be replaced

Please let us know the status of the recommendedations we've made.

Last edited by derf; 01-03-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 AM

I didn't miss that one, derf. I just wanted to see if he'd get there on his own.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think you really wanted to see when I would get to it

Old 01-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Banned

If he? I'm a woman. And I haven't had the time to check since I am working long hours. I will go to Autozone today even though I have had them look at it once before and come up empty handed.

Last edited by Sad face Saturn; 01-04-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Won't start when hot. Help?